County office in turmoil with secret video and claims of bullying, hostility
50 gallon drum
2022-11-20 10:07:14 UTC
In article <ssvj8o$o1eb$***@news.freedyn.de>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

The Clark County Public Administrator’s office has been mired in
turmoil and internal dissension over the past two years, with
allegations of emotional stress, bullying and favoritism leading
to secret videotaping of the boss and a co-worker outside the
office.

A half-dozen current and former employees interviewed by the
Review-Journal are alleging the hostile work environment was
fueled by the elected administrator of the office, Robert
Telles, carrying on an “inappropriate relationship” with a
staffer that has harmed the office’s ability to deal with the
public in overseeing the estates of those who have died.

The staffer, Roberta Lee-Kennett, 45, has acted in some cases as
an office supervisor beyond her assigned duties as one of
several estate coordinators because of her favored status with
Telles, the employees said.

Because of the brewing animosity, the top supervisor under
Telles, Rita Reid, decided to run against him in this year’s
Democratic primary. And several employees took the bold step of
secretly videotaping Telles and Lee-Kennett meeting in the back
seat of her car at a parking garage to show proof of the
relationship. One employee filed a retaliation complaint with
the county against Telles on May 9, records show.

Both Lee-Kennett and Telles, 45, an attorney, strongly denied
having any kind of improper relationship but acknowledged that
they have become friends. Telles said he has relied on Lee-
Kennett’s support while making office improvements resisted by
employees from the previous administration. Both are married.

Telles blames “a handful of old-timers” for exaggerating the
extent of the relationship and falsely claiming that he has been
mistreating them. He said they have filed complaints against him
with the county in the past that were not substantiated, and he
questioned the timing of the latest accusations as he seeks a
second term in office.

“They are unhappy with the way the office has been taken out of
their control,” Telles said. “All my new employees are super-
happy and everyone’s productive and doing well. We’ve almost
doubled the productivity in the office.”

The office tension was felt during a recent visit, as employees
loyal to Telles explained there are two factions — one group of
mostly new workers hired by Telles and the other group with ties
to former Public Administrator John Cahill, who retired in
January 2019 after 12 years.

Cahill, who endorsed Telles in 2018, is now backing Reid and
voicing concerns about the well-being of the workers.

The office has eight-full time employees, three part-time
support staffers, and roughly 15 part-time investigators who
spend most of their days in the field. When someone dies and
there are no immediate family members to deal with the estate,
the office takes possession of the property and investigators
attempt to locate relatives so the property can be turned over
to them.

Emotional stress claims

Members of the warring office factions say they have suffered
emotional stress, which in some cases has impaired their
physical health.

Assistant Public Administrator Reid includes herself among those
affected by the upheaval.

Reid, who has worked at the office for 15 years, said she jumped
into the race knowing she faces an uphill primary battle with
Telles on June 14. Her office is right next to his in the
building at 515 Shadow Lane.

“I came to this decision not very easily because it affects my
life dramatically,” Reid said. “But I want to do whatever I can
to let the voters know that this is not the right man to be in
charge of any department.”

“We’re always on guard, and we’re always under stress. All of
the people in this office deserve to be treated with respect and
dignity, and the people we serve deserve to be treated with
respect and dignity.”

Holdover staffers said they secretly videotaped Telles and Lee-
Kennett after work several times slipping into the back seat of
her Nissan Rogue earlier this year in the shadows of a high-rise
mall parking garage.

The staffers said they recorded the clandestine meetings to
offer proof to county officials of the office-dividing
relationship. The Review-Journal has obtained and viewed videos
of the meetings.

“This is unacceptable, disgusting behavior for a public
servant,” estate coordinator Aleisha Goodwin said in the
confidential retaliation complaint.

“Physical contact with a subordinate in a public place and
letting that subordinate use favoritism she is getting from
these inappropriate meetings to secure power and privileges
above others in the office is affecting most of the staff in an
extremely negative manner.”

Telles responded that Lee-Kennett, who also worked under Cahill,
is simply one of the people he “could lean on” while he has
tried to change the office atmosphere. He said he caught Reid
spying on him in the past, an allegation she denied.

Both Telles and Lee-Kennett acknowledged driving separately to
the parking structure at the Las Vegas North Premium Outlets
mall several times earlier this year and entering the back seat
of her car. They said they just talked about the problems in the
office and only hugged each other.

‘Inappropriate relationship’ denied

“I think it’s horrible that they recorded this, and they’re
trying to destroy my life and my marriage, when I’m actually
infinitely in love with my wife,” Telles said. “I was just
trying to get things off my chest with somebody who understands,
and now it’s being framed as though I’m cheating on my wife.”

Lee-Kennett added, “I have not had an inappropriate relationship
with him. I would not be friends with a man who thinks he’s
going to have an inappropriate relationship with me.”

When asked why the duo didn’t go to lunch, or somewhere else
less secretive, to privately discuss work, Lee-Kennett said they
can’t do that without someone in the office “making assumptions”
about them.

She said she suggested going into the back seat of the car
because she wanted to make sure Telles would listen to her
concerns face to face. Telles said the meeting location, which
is across the street from the Clark County Government Center on
South Grand Central Parkway, probably was chosen out of
“paranoia” because of the discord in the office.

Goodwin declined to comment about the claims of bullying and
favoritism. But in her 19-page complaint filed with the Clark
County Office of Diversity, she provided details of Telles’
relationship with Lee-Kennett, the videotaping and his alleged
micromanagement of the full-time workers.

“The county has failed to protect employees from a mentally and
emotionally abusive situation that has continued now for two
years-plus, and the mental and physical health ramifications
have been felt by most of the full-time employees in this
department of only eight full-time employees,” Goodwin wrote.

Goodwin, who’s been with the office about five years, also
alleges in the complaint that Telles is discriminating against
her because she is Mormon and has retaliated against her since
she filed a discrimination complaint with the county in 2020.
Telles denies those allegations.

According to her new complaint, staffers first saw Telles and
Lee-Kennett getting close to each other in 2020 during the COVID-
19 pandemic. He moved into a cubicle next to hers. Then they
began taking walks and having lunch together. Lee-Kennett also
was observed having numerous closed-door meetings with Telles,
where they were heard giggling. No other employees were allowed
inside his office, which only has windows with a view outside
the building, the complaint says.

“Lee-Kennett has since acted with assumed authority, power and
privileges since the two began their personal relationship,”
Goodwin wrote in her complaint. “Their behavior has very
negatively affected most (of the) others in our department.”

A county spokesman declined to comment on the complaint, saying
it was a personnel matter, and Deputy County Manager Jeff Wells,
who oversees the public administrator’s office, was not made
available for an interview. Because Telles is an elected
official, the county has no authority to discipline him, but it
does monitor how employees are treated.

Health of employees questioned

Former boss Cahill said he is worried about the impact the
alleged bullying is having on employee health and their dealings
with the public.

“These employees talk daily with people who have lost a loved
one in their families,” he said. “It’s an emotional, stressful
job, and to add a hostile working atmosphere to it is
unacceptable.”

Cahill was also critical of the county’s failure to stop the
alleged abuse.

“They’re being harassed and the county doesn’t seem to care,” he
said. “And I just think that’s nonsense. These employees are
still county employees who have the rights of county employees.
They’re not his private employees.”

Some holdover staffers interviewed by the Review-Journal cried
while sharing details of their troubled work environment. Some
asked to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation.

According to the workers: Telles has a temper and demeans
holdover employees. He assigns them unnecessary work, has set
unrealistic performance goals, won’t respond to questions they
have about their changing duties and tries to dig up dirt on
them. He also prohibits them from using cellphones at work and
discourages them from socializing and gossiping in the office.

Anyone who questions his authority is chastised, the workers
said.

The employees contend they are constantly worried that they
won’t properly follow his sometimes-confusing directives and
could be reprimanded, or verbally abused. One worker said she
eats a bag lunch every day in her car because she doesn’t want
to be seen socializing with staffers who aren’t among Telles’
favorites.

Janelle Lea, a part-time investigator, said the office
environment is one of the worst she has ever seen. Lea has her
own live event company and has spent years putting on
entertainment events on the Strip.

“He literally works to create division in the office,” she said.
“He’s so vindictive and so horrible.

“Everybody looks like they’re in a CYA situation all the time.
People are depressed, they’re physically ill. One staffer told
me, ‘I’d rather have a colonoscopy every day than come here and
deal with him.’”

Janie Osuzik, who worked as an executive assistant for four
public administrators for over 30 years, said she retired in
April because she got frustrated with the hostile environment.

“You always had to be on guard, and it made the office
uncomfortable because you knew there were certain people who
would run to (Telles) on everything, even with lies, and he
would accept it as true,” she said. “He would storm into my
office and accuse me of things and never take the time to
investigate anything.”

She said she once got so stressed that she had to take leave to
deal with migraines.

“Those of us who were not in his favor felt that we weren’t
appreciated, even after all of those years of working in the
office,” she said. “It was a miserable place to work.”

Reid said she has dealt with headaches, stomachaches, and
depression under what she called constant browbeating by Telles.

“When you beat people up, there’s only so much energy and
services they can provide,” she said. “You spend so much time
combating these challenges and accusations and reprimands, it
knocks you in the gut. It’s like ‘here we go again, another
lie,’ and you have to try to protect yourself.”

Reid is also convinced that the relationship between Telles and
Lee-Kennett is responsible for the office conflict and has
contributed to Telles’ efforts to strip her of much of her
administrative duties.

“His relationship with her is harmful to the operations of the
office,” Reid said. “She has become more and more powerful and
noticeable. If she didn’t like something, boom, she’d be
marching into his office and there would be some change.”

Telles disputes the claims of hostility from Reid and the other
veteran employees.

“These allegations that I’ve chained people to the wall, or
something, are bogus,” he said. “They make it sound as though
everybody is miserable in this office. I’ve done my best to try
to be as nice and friendly this whole time.

“For whatever reason they just seem to want things to go back to
the way they were, serving the interests of a few. Before I got
there, this office was in a horrible, horrible state.”

Among the changes Telles said he has made are closing estate
cases faster and cutting back on large amounts of tax-funded
overtime employees were getting under Cahill.

He provided a document that showed one veteran employee received
more than $140,000 in overtime between 2017 and 2018. That was
on top of the employee’s combined $150,000 regular salary for
those years. The employee’s overtime dropped to roughly $13,500
in 2020 under Telles, according to the document.

Lee-Kennett, who sits in a cubicle similar to other estate
coordinators and employees, said the disgruntled staffers are
responsible for creating the drama.

“Rob is walking on eggshells because of all of them. We all
are,” she said. “There’s no accountability on their part.”

Nichole Lofton, an estate coordinator for the past year, said
the old guard acts like “a little gang and has tried to isolate
her. Lofton said she has suffered from migraines from stress.

“They told me from the beginning to pick a side,” she said,
adding that Telles does everything he can to help her succeed
while the other group wants her to fail.

Ariana Payne, another Telles loyalist who works as a full-time
office assistant, said she has seen the increased production of
the office. “The office is running a lot smoother,” she said.
“We’re closing a lot of cases.”

But she said she’s also seen a “definite divide. There’s talk of
them versus us and it shouldn’t be that way. We have a duty to
do.”

Aleisha Goodwin provides details in her retaliation complaint of
what employees claim they saw when they observed Telles and Lee-
Kennett at the Premium Outlets parking structure between
February and March.

“We were then able to take photos and video from afar,” Goodwin
writes. “We also were able to secure several instances where
they meet up in a parking garage, driving separately in their
individual vehicles and staying from 1œ to 2œ hours on each
visit.”

In one video, the footage shows Telles and Lee-Kennett in the
back seat of her Nissan Rogue. The video appears to show two
heads through the tinted back window joining together before the
couple leaves the back seat. Telles leaves first, walking away
without looking back. Lee-Kennett exits the car seconds later
and gets in the front seat. Neither person acknowledges the
other outside the car.

“We’re being put through all of this because he’s having a
private thing,” one employee said. “I don’t think he should be
allowed to run a county department. He’s mismanaged so many
things. This is a horrible abuse of public trust.”

Contact Jeff German at ***@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-
4564. Follow @JGermanRJ on Twitter.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/county-office-in-
turmoil-with-secret-video-and-claims-of-bullying-hostility-
2577147/
50 gallon drum
2022-11-20 11:53:59 UTC
In article <ssvj8o$o1eb$***@news.freedyn.de>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

(CNN)An arrest has been made in the stabbing death of Las Vegas
Review-Journal investigative reporter Jeff German, police say.
And his newspaper said the suspect is a public official who has
been the subject of German's investigative reporting.

Clark County Public Administrator Robert Telles was arrested
Wednesday in connection with German's death, Clark County
Sheriff Joe Lombardo told the Review-Journal.

Telles has not been publicly identified by police as being
connected to German's death, but the Las Vegas Metro Police
Department said in a post on social media that the "suspect in
the homicide that occurred on September 2, 2022, has been taken
into custody."

Online Clark County Jail records show Telles is being held on a
murder count and has a court appearance scheduled for Thursday
afternoon. CNN has reached out to LVMPD for additional comment.

German was found dead outside of his Las Vegas home Saturday,
according to police. The Review-Journal said German was found
with "stab wounds." The Clark County Office of the Medical
Examiner confirmed to CNN that the cause of German's death was
multiple sharp force injuries, and the manner of his death was
homicide.

Las Vegas police confirmed Wednesday that officers served search
warrants in relation to German's death, but did not immediately
provide any additional information. A search warrant may be
issued when a judge finds probable cause that police will find
evidence of a crime.

German had been working on a story about Telles the week he was
killed, according to the Review-Journal. Telles was the subject
of articles that detailed his oversight of his office, and
German reported that Telles created a hostile work environment
and carried on an inappropriate relationship with a staffer.

Telles lost his reelection bid in June.
Uniformed officers and police vehicles were seen on Wednesday
morning outside of Telles' home, according to local media.
Investigators haven't said if the activity was connected to the
investigation into German's death.

Police would not provide CNN information on what activity
transpired at the address linked to Telles. CNN has reached out
to Telles and his office for comment.

Las Vegas police released photos Tuesday of a possible suspect
and vehicle -- what appears to be a maroon GMC SUV -- connected
to German's death.

"Review-Journal reporters observed Telles in the driveway of his
home, standing next to a vehicle matching that description," the
newspaper reported. "The GMC vehicle and a second vehicle were
towed from Telles' property at about 12:50 p.m. on Wednesday."

The Review-Journal released a statement over the weekend on
German's death.

"The Review-Journal family is devastated to lose Jeff," said
Executive Editor Glenn Cook, according to the paper. "He was the
gold standard of the news business. It's hard to imagine what
Las Vegas would be like today without his many years of shining
a bright light on dark places."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/07/us/jeff-german-las-vegas-review-
journal-search-warrant/index.html
50 gallon drum
2022-11-20 13:50:52 UTC
In article <ssvklr$o1uk$***@news.freedyn.de>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

Robert Telles, a longtime Las Vegas resident with a political
and legal background, is under arrest on suspicion of murdering
a journalist.

Metro took the Clark County public administrator into custody at
his home Wednesday afternoon. The Clark County Public
Administrator was charged in connection with the recent slaying
of Review-Journal investigative reporter Jeff German, Sheriff
Joe Lombardo said..

Telles placed third in his office’s Democratic primary this
summer, following the publication of a Review-Journal
investigation into complaints about his actions in the office.
He was bested by his office’s top supervisor, Rita Reid. His
term is slated to end in January.

Personal life

Telles, 45, has said he’s lived in Las Vegas for more than 20
years. He was born in Biloxi, Mississippi, grew up in El Paso,
Texas and then lived in the Denver area before moving here,
according to a May 2021 interview with Veterans in Politics.

He told the Review-Journal he worked as an HVAC technician at
the College of Southern Nevada before graduating from UNLV’s
William S. Boyd School of Law in spring of 2014.

Prior to his time in office, he operated Accolade Law, a small
firm focused on probate and estate planning. He was named Nevada
Legal Service’s “Pro Bono Attorney of the Year” in 2014.

Telles told the Review-Journal earlier this year that he had
been married for over a decade and has three children.

Political career

Telles, a Democrat, was elected to serve a four-year term as a
public administrator in late 2018 and was endorsed by long-time
Public Administrator John Cahill, who did not seek re-election.

It appears to be the first political position he held in Nevada.

The public administrator is responsible for securing dead
people’s property while their family or executor is located,
according to the county. The office also administers estates in
court when families cannot.

The position pays roughly $120,000 in annual salary, according
to data from the Transparent Nevada website.

In late 2019, Gov. Steve Sisolak appointed Telles to the state’s
newly created Board of Indigent Defense Services.

Volunteer work

He’s been active in a variety of local organizations according
to his LinkedIn page, including the Clark County Bar
Association, Las Vegas Rotary Club and Olive Crest foster-care
agency.

Officials with the organizations said Wednesday they were
stunned to hear police had searched his home.

“I never had a reason to doubt his integrity, his energy or his
commitment to public service,” said Rotary Club secretary Stuart
Lipoff.

Telles joined the Las Vegas chapter of the service club in 2013,
where he became a board member for a time and was a frequent
participant in charitable activities, Lipoff said. However, the
two hadn’t seen each other in person for about two years.

Similarly, Bar Association secretary-treasurer Paul Ray said he
knew Telles to be a “friendly guy” during the four years he
served as a committee chairman for the organization.

“He’s very active in serving in the community, it doesn’t seem
like it goes together (with the killing),” Ray said.

Olive Crest CEO Donald Verleur said Telles passed a criminal
background check before he joined the organization’s board of
trustees in November 2017.

Telles did not help set policy in the role, but instead helped
fundraise, Verleur said. He left the organization in 2020,
citing other obligations.

“Olive Crest has been around since 1973, almost 50 years,
something like this has never occurred,” Verleur said.

LVRJ investigation

Telles was the subject of Review-Journal investigation published
by German earlier this year.

Current and former employees in his office leveled allegations
of emotional stress, bullying and favoritism against him. Some
claimed he was in an “inappropriate relationship” with a female
subordinate staffer.

After the story ran, top county officials hired a former coroner
to address the issues in Telles’ office.

Telles publicized his frustrations with German through Twitter
on multiple occasions. The official labeled the reporter as an
“obsessed” bully who was preparing another ““lying smear piece.”

Telles also published a letter on his election website stating
the accusations against him were false.

Home raided

Police served search warrants at Telles’ two-story home in the
Peccole Ranch neighborhood of Las Vegas on Wednesday morning.

Records show Telles purchased the four-bedroom property for
$215,000 in 2011.

The house is about a 15-minute drive from German’s home in
northwest Las Vegas, where neighbors found the reporter’s body
outside Saturday.

Officials believe German, 69, was fatally stabbed during an
altercation Friday.

On Tuesday afternoon, police released a photo of a vehicle tied
to the slaying: a 2007 to 2014 red or maroon GMC Yukon Denali
with chrome handles and a sunroof.

Review-Journal reporters spotted Telles in the driveway of his
home later that day, washing a vehicle matching that
description. The car was towed from Telles’ house Wednesday
afternoon.

Contact Michael Scott Davidson at ***@reviewjournal.com or
702-477-3861. Follow @davidsonlvrj on Twitter.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/who-is-county-
official-robert-telles-2635614/
50 gallon drum
2022-11-20 14:21:25 UTC
In article <ssvkls$o1uk$***@news.freedyn.de>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

The re-election of embattled Clark County Public Administrator
Robert Telles is in jeopardy after a lackluster showing in his
primary battle with two Democratic challengers, including his
top assistant.

Telles’ lagging numbers follow a Review-Journal investigation
last month that uncovered an office in turmoil and claims of
bullying, retaliation and an “inappropriate relationship”
between Telles and a staffer.

The latest Democratic primary results show longtime Assistant
Public Administrator Rita Reid with a 1,169-vote lead over
unknown candidate Caroline Escobar. Telles, who was endorsed by
the influential Culinary Union and other labor organizations, is
in third place, behind Reid by 2,077 votes. Final results won’t
be known until next week.

Escobar, 35, who said she is a real estate agent and former
paralegal, acknowledged that she spent no money in the race and
did no campaigning. Her Nevada financial disclosure statement
lists no sources of income and no campaign donations. She said
if she wins the primary, she will run aggressively against the
Republican candidate in the general election.

Public administrator workers who previously spoke out about the
alleged hostile work environment said within the past week that
they still fear for their jobs because of a letter Telles posted
on his campaign website ahead of the primary. They said they
have reported their concerns to county human resources.

The letter attacked the Review-Journal and its reporting and
claimed the allegations against Telles were false. It also
leveled what the employees allege was a threat to retaliate
against them for stepping forward.

Former Public Administrator John Cahill, who preceded Telles in
office from 2007 to 2019, said the letter is another effort to
intimidate the workers.

“The employees were afraid of him before, and now, if he’s lost
the race, he’s coming back at them with nothing more to lose,”
said Cahill, who has endorsed Reid.

Telles: ‘They’ve won’

Telles declined to comment, other than to say in a text message,
“It’s fine. At this point, they’ve won. Do what you would like.”
He offered no further explanation.

Later, he posted tweets lashing out at a reporter.

Rob Telles
@RobTellesLV
·
Follow
Does the @LVRJ know that @JGermanRJ may be doing double duty on
their dime? Do they know he basically made a veiled threat to
make me take down my site with the truth after I already lost
the election? #LasVegas

<https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVd8VHRUAAEzpck?format=jpg&name=sma
ll>

Telles previously has denied the allegations of office abuse and
blamed the unrest on “a handful of old-timers” left over from
Cahill’s tenure.

That was a major theme of his campaign letter, titled
“Addressing the False Claims Against Me.”

“After my opponent from the office (Reid) announced her
candidacy, her supporters in the office began to ramp up
interference with our operations,” Telles wrote. “After the
article, this included harassing other employees in the office.
Tragically, these other employees have suffered mental and
physical effects.”

Telles said Reid was “counting on a win so she can shield her
supporters from being disciplined for their actions against the
other employees the past couple of months.”

Reid called that statement a lie and an indication that Telles
is still trying to divide the office.

“How can people work together or learn to appreciate the
strengths of one another, or even start to know one another,
when they are intentionally divided by the boss?” she asked.
“People under this much stress every single day are not at their
best when serving others. Rob’s lies will not return common
human decency to this office.”

County managers have taken the workplace allegations against
Telles seriously enough to hire former longtime Coroner Michael
Murphy to try to quell the upheaval. The county has no authority
to take action against Telles, but it can monitor how his
publicly paid employees are being treated.

County spokesman Dan Kulin declined to comment on the latest
turmoil, calling it a personnel matter.

History of scandal

The public administrator’s office, which oversees the estates of
those who died, has eight full-time employees and 15 part-time
investigators. It has been stung by scandal periodically over
the past 40 years. One administrator in the 1970s was convicted
of fraud for attempting to overcharge a dead man’s estate for
storage.

Controversy followed the lengthy tenure of Jared Shafer, who ran
the office between 1979 and 2003. That included the 1983 FBI
arrests of an estate manager and an investigator charged with
stealing from the estates of dead people.

For years, the office oversaw the much-criticized private
guardianship system until the county spun off those duties into
an appointed public guardian’s office in 1999.

Shafer’s tenure was marred by allegations of poor record-keeping
and a failure to properly track estate possessions. He also was
accused of paying neighbors and other friends for services
performed for the estates he supervised. But he was never
charged with any wrongdoing.

Cahill’s three terms were relatively quiet, but he recalled how
difficult it was to get the county to pay attention to the
office and provide the resources he needed.

“Historically, the office has kind of been neglected by the
county and that has left it open for problems and criticism,” he
said. “It’s always been short-staffed and begging for help.”

The discord under Telles has kept county human resources busy.
Within the past week, one employee referred to the threatening
campaign letter in a discrimination complaint filed with the
Clark County Office of Diversity.

“This has amplified my fear that my job is in jeopardy, that he
will do everything in his power to fire me,” wrote Senior Estate
Coordinator Noraine Pagdanganan.

She said Telles’ false claim that she and other whistleblowers
are interfering with office operations is offensive and causing
her “anxiety, apprehension and undue stress.”

Human Resources alerted

Estate coordinator Aleisha Goodwin forwarded a copy of Telles’
letter to human resources and the Office of Diversity and voiced
her concerns about the alleged threats.

She rebutted his latest claims in emails, also calling them
false.

“We work very hard despite the ongoing problems in this office
and constant harassment from Telles,” Goodwin told human
resources.

In a May 9 retaliation complaint, Goodwin revealed the
relationship between Telles and another estate coordinator,
Roberta Lee-Kennett. Goodwin alleged the relationship was
responsible for the hostility in the public administrator’s
office. Telles was secretly videotaped by employees meeting in
the back seat of Lee-Kennett’s car.

Former employees have alleged that the relationship between
Telles and Lee-Kennett allowed the favored staffer to act in
some cases as an office supervisor beyond her assigned duties.

Both Telles and Lee-Kennett strongly denied having any kind of
improper association. But they acknowledged the clandestine
meetings at a parking garage several times after work earlier
this year. They said they only hugged each other.

Cahill said he found it interesting that Telles made no mention
of the relationship in the online letter attacking the accuracy
of the Review-Journal’s reporting.

“He’s trying to shift attention away from what he was doing, his
unethical behavior with a staff member,” he said. “He made an
office pet out of one of the staffers, and she in turn thought
she had power over her peers. And that created a really hostile
work environment.”

Contact Jeff German at ***@reviewjournal.com or 702-380-
4564. Follow @JGermanRJ on Twitter. German is a member of the
Review-Journal’s investigative team, focusing on reporting that
holds leaders and agencies accountable and exposes wrongdoing.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/embattled-county-
official-losing-re-election-bid-posts-angry-letter-
2594362/?itm_source=parsely-api
50 gallon drum
2022-11-21 03:13:27 UTC
In article <ssvjnh$o1me$***@news.freedyn.de>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

As Las Vegas police closed in Wednesday on Clark County Public
Administrator Robert Telles, his employees said they have long
feared for their safety.

Officers arrested Telles, 45, on suspicion of killing Review-
Journal investigative reporter Jeff German, who had documented
an alleged tumultuous and hostile work environment within the
outgoing elected official’s office.

“It’s just more real now. It’s like a realization that we’ve
been in the office with someone who hates us and is capable of
this kind of violent crime,” said Aleisha Goodwin, an estate
coordinator in Telles’ office. Goodwin had filed a confidential
retaliation complaint with the Clark County Office of Diversity,
German reported in May.

In his investigations, German talked to a half-dozen current and
former employees who alleged months of bullying, emotional
distress and favoritism by Telles.

“All along, there’s been a concern for safety for myself and
others who were bold and brave enough to put their names out
there in the articles,” Reid said.

Police searched Telles’ house on Wednesday morning, one day
after releasing a photo of a red GMC Yukon Denali they believe
was tied to the killing.

“When I saw that car, the hair on my arms just stood up,” said
Goodwin, who recognized it as belonging to Telles. Review-
Journal reporters saw Telles in his driveway Tuesday, standing
next to an SUV matching that description.

Telles did not return requests for comment Wednesday.

Telles’ top deputy in the office, Rita Reid, said she thought
his anger was still festering, especially after he potentially
learned in early August there was a new round of records
requests.

Reid said he was still complaining about German’s articles just
days before the killing.

“You have not had truly bad bosses if you think I tortured you,”
he wrote in an Aug. 28 text message that Reid shared with the
Review-Journal. “You’ve ruined my life’s path and damaged the
office.”

Reid, who ran in the office’s Democratic primary this summer and
bested Telles, said employees interviewed by the Review-Journal
were anxious about their well-being after the reporter’s killing.

The employees reported being on edge Wednesday morning but
continued to come in to work. They said the building’s locks
were changed, and a sign posted at the entrance Wednesday
morning read, “This building is temporarily closed.”

County spokesman Erik Pappa declined to comment.

German, 69, was a storied newsman who spent more than 40 years
uncovering a myriad of corruption and scandals in Las Vegas and
told his co-workers he brushed off threats. Police said he was
stabbed to death outside his northwest Las Vegas home on Friday
morning.

“The guy investigated the mob and all kinds of things,” said one
shocked former county employee who did not want to be named out
of concern for his safety. “It’s just hard to imagine he gets
done in by exposing operations in the smallest possible county
office of government. That’s nuts.”

In a series of tweets this June, Telles called German a bully,
said he was “obsessed” with him and accused the reporter of
preparing “lying smear piece #4.”

When he was killed, German had an outstanding request for public
government records involving Telles. He texted Goodwin Friday
morning, hours before police say he was attacked.

In their exchanges, Goodwin alerted German that several
employees were resigning.

“Thanks. I’ll be back at work on Thursday. That may be a story,”
replied German, who was beginning a week-long vacation.

‘Justice for Jeff’

Telles previously denied his employees’ accusations against him
and blamed a handful of disgruntled employees, “old-timers,” for
making false claims against him and exaggerating the extent of
his “inappropriate relationship” with Roberta Lee-Kennett, who
also did not respond to requests for comment.

German documented members of warring office factions who said
they had suffered emotional stress, which in some cases had
impaired their physical health.

Employees said that they reached out to German out of
desperation when the county refused to heed their complaints and
felt some relief when their stories were told and Telles lost
the election.

“The reality and the horrific nature of what’s happened has
really come to a head,” Reid said. “And we just want justice for
Jeff.”

Contact Briana Erickson at ***@reviewjournal.com or 702-
387-5244. Follow @ByBrianaE on Twitter. The Review-Journal’s
investigative team focuses on reporting that holds leaders and
agencies accountable and exposes wrongdoing.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/investigations/workers-county-
officials-anger-over-humiliating-stories-was-still-festering-
2636005/
50 gallon drum
2022-11-21 07:32:52 UTC
In article <smermb$dbp$***@news.dns-netz.com>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

The county official arrested in last week’s stabbing death of
Las Vegas-based investigative reporter Jeff German was taken
into custody with self-inflicted wounds, police said Thursday.

Bloody shoes and a cut-up straw hat are part of what led police
to arrest Clark County Public Administrator Robert “Rob” Telles
in the stabbing death of journalist Jeff German, authorities
revealed.

In addition, Telles’ DNA was found at the scene, police said,
according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, where German had
spent the past 10 years on staff.

German had been investigating Telles’ alleged doings when the
journalist’s body was found outside his home on Saturday
morning. Police released a description and images of a vehicle
that turned out to match one parked in Telles’ driveway. Upon
searching his house, investigators found cut-up, bloody shoes
and a cut-up straw hat that matched the disguise of a suspect
caught on surveillance video.

When they caught up with and arrested Telles, they found him
with self-inflicted wounds, though his injuries were not
considered life-threatening, said Captain Dori Koren of the Las
Vegas police homicide unit, according to the Review-Journal.

Telles was allegedly lying in wait at the side of German’s house
when the journalist went outside. German, 69, had been
investigating reports of complaints against the 45-year-old
Telles that alleged administrative bullying, favoritism and a
possibly inappropriate relationship with a subordinate staffer.

The Democrat had lost the primary in June to Assistant Public
Administrator Rita Reid, and his term was set to expire at the
end of this year.

German hadn’t stopped there, having recently made public-records
requests for emails and text messages between Telles and three
other county officials. On top of that, Telles was unhappy about
“additional reporting that was pending,” Koren said Thursday.

Leaders of his newspaper expressed both relief and outrage.

“We are relieved Telles is in custody and outraged that a
colleague appears to have been killed for reporting on an
elected official,” executive editor Glenn Cook said in a
statement. “Journalists can’t do the important work our
communities require if they are afraid a presentation of facts
could lead to violent retribution. We thank Las Vegas police for
their urgency and hard work and for immediately recognizing the
terrible significance of Jeff’s killing. Now, hopefully, the
Review-Journal, the German family and Jeff’s many friends can
begin the process of mourning and honoring a great man and a
brave reporter.”

German’s family also spoke out.

“Jeff was a loving and loyal brother, uncle and friend who
devoted his life to his work exposing wrongdoing in Las Vegas
and beyond,” they said in a statement to the Review-Journal.
“We’re shocked, saddened and angry about his death. Jeff was
committed to seeking justice for others and would appreciate the
hard work by local police and journalists in pursuing his
killer. We look forward to seeing justice done in this case. We
also want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love, support
and recognition for Jeff and his life’s work.”

<https://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/ny-straw-hat-disguise-
bloody-shoes-telles-shot-las-vegas-arrest-stab-journalist-
20220908-zwiubohcqvgw3kpdu34c7qleti-story.html>
Worth it?
2022-11-21 09:38:26 UTC
That Roberta bitch isn't even good looking.
Would you give up this woman,

<https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/09/dead-
vegas-journo-003.jpeg>

for this one?

<https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2022/09/08/15/62200643-11193277-
Roberta_Lee_Kennett_45_was_seen_leaving_the_car_at_the_same_time-
m-25_1662646065609.jpg>
50 gallon drum
2022-11-21 12:08:45 UTC
In article <sn19jv$q55$***@news.dns-netz.com>
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

LAS VEGAS — The DNA from a now-arrested elected Nevada official
was found at the scene of a Las Vegas reporter's slaying,
authorities said Thursday, revealing the official was also
"upset" about stories the reporter was pursuing.

Clark County Public Administrator Robert Telles, 45, lost his re-
election bid in June amid fallout from a series of critical
articles Las Vegas Review-Journal investigative reporter Jeff
German published earlier this year. Telles, who faces one count
of murder with a deadly weapon, made his first court appearance
Thursday and was denied bail.

"It's quite chilling," Justice of the Peace Elana Graham said,
"that the defendant's DNA is alleged to have been recovered from
the hands of the victim, presumably during the time in which he
was fighting for his life."

New details outlining what led police to close in on Telles as
their prime suspect five days after German, 69, was fatally
stabbed outside his home Saturday were revealed at a Thursday
news conference.

"Telles was upset about articles being written by German as an
investigative journalist that exposed potential wrongdoing," Las
Vegas police Capt. Dori Koren said, adding at the time of the
attack, Telles had recently discovered "there was additional
reporting that was pending."

Authorities took Telles into custody Wednesday evening following
an hourslong standoff at his home. He was hospitalized for what
Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo described as self-inflicted
wounds. The arrest came just hours after the Las Vegas
Metropolitan Police Department had concluded a search of his
property and vehicles.

Authorities: Bloody shoes, DNA lead to Robert Telles' arrest
German was stabbed "in the late morning hours" Saturday outside
his northwest Las Vegas home, police said, but authorities did
not learn of his death until the following day when a 911 caller
reported finding German's body on the side of his house.

Authorities initially suspected the slaying might have been
carried out by a person casing German's neighborhood "to commit
other crimes." A security camera photo showed the killer
carrying a duffel bag and wearing an orange work shirt with
reflective stripes, gloves and a wide-brimmed straw hat.

JEFF GERMAN CASE:Las Vegas public official arrested on suspicion
of murder in investigative reporter's death

Investigators now believe Telles dressed that way to disguise
his identity and ties to German, Koren said Thursday.

While searching Telles' property Wednesday, detectives collected
a DNA sample from the suspect, which police said came back as a
positive match for DNA found at the scene of German's killing.
After receiving the results of the DNA testing later that
afternoon, police obtained an arrest warrant, leading to the
standoff.

Police also located a pair of shoes stained with dried blood and
a straw hat during their search, Koren said, but as of Thursday,
the weapon used in the attack had not been found.

Arrest report details deadly attack
A newly released arrest report obtained by the USA TODAY Network
outlined that German was stabbed multiple times in a surprise
attack. Authorities believe German fought back, detectives wrote
in the three-page report, because he had "defensive" wounds. The
suspect's DNA was found under German's fingernails.

On the morning of the attack, the report says, Telles had been
in German's neighborhood for about a half-hour before the death.
After the attack, the suspect stood up and "calmly walked" away
from German's home, the report states.

The suspect returned to German's house minutes later, appearing
"to look for something," the report reads.

MORE ON THE KILLING:Las Vegas investigative reporter stabbed to
death in altercation outside home, police say

A reporter who 'devoted his life' to journalism
German joined the Review-Journal in 2010 after more than two
decades at the Las Vegas Sun, where he was a columnist and
reporter who covered courts, politics, labor, government and
organized crime. He was 69.

In a statement, German’s family called him “a loving and loyal
brother, uncle and friend who devoted his life to his work
exposing wrongdoing in Las Vegas and beyond.”

“We’re shocked, saddened and angry about his death,” the
statement said. “Jeff was committed to seeking justice for
others and would appreciate the hard work by local police and
journalists in pursuing his killer. We look forward to seeing
justice done in this case.”

CHARGES RELATED TO BORDER WALL FUND:Longtime Trump adviser Steve
Bannon pleads not guilty in NY

POLICE IDENTIFY SUSPECT:4 dead, 3 injured after man goes on
hourslong shooting spree in Memphis, authorities say

Glenn Cook, executive editor of the Review-Journal, said in a
statement that “the arrest of Robert Telles is at once an
enormous relief and an outrage for the Review-Journal newsroom.”

“We are relieved Robert Telles is in custody and outraged that a
colleague appears to have been killed for reporting on an
elected official,” the statement said. “Journalists can’t do the
important work our communities require if they are afraid a
presentation of facts could lead to violent retribution. We
thank Las Vegas police for their urgency and hard work and for
immediately recognizing the terrible significance of Jeff’s
killing.”

“Hopefully, the Review-Journal, the German family and Jeff’s
many friends can begin the process of mourning and honoring a
great man and a brave reporter,” it said.

Suspect complained about news articles
Telles, a lawyer who practiced probate and estate law, won his
elected position in 2018, replacing a three-term public
administrator. He lost his June party primary to Assistant
Public Administrator Rita Reid, who faces a Republican
challenger in November. Telles’ term expires Dec. 31.

In the weeks before the election, German bylined reports about
an office “mired in turmoil and internal dissension” between
longtime employees and new hires under Telles’ leadership.

Telles blamed “old-timers” for exaggerating the extent of his
relationship with a female staffer and falsely claiming that he
mistreated them. He said all of his employees were "happy" and
they'd "almost doubled the productivity in the office."

Telles later posted Twitter complaints about German, the Review-
Journal reported, including claims in June that German was a
bully who was “obsessed” with him.

German, a reporter with a reputation for tenacity, was working
on follow-up reports, the newspaper said Wednesday, and recently
filed public records requests for emails and text messages
between Telles and three other county officials, including Reid
and consultant Michael Murphy.

Contributing: The Associated Press

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/09/08/las-vegas-
dna-arrest-jeff-german-robert-telles/8025422001/