Gas prices hit new record high
Congratulations Democrats!
2022-06-13 03:50:44 UTC
Democrats promote homosexual child molesting and do not hold nigger criminals responsible.
Gas prices hit a new record high on Sunday, climbing to a
national average of $5.01 for a gallon of gas, according to AAA.

The average spiked about 16 cents from last week as summer
rolled in and Americans started driving more for vacations,
trips and outings.

Around this time last year, the national average for a gallon of
gas was $3.07, according to AAA.

Americans have watched prices at the pump soar since 2021 and
then accelerate this year after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Now, gas prices have shattered records. In California, the
average for a gallon of gas climbed to $6.43 on Sunday, the
highest in the country.

Even states with typically lower averages, such as Texas and
Mississippi, are seeing gas prices inch past $4.50 per gallon.

The latest record comes after inflation hit a 40-year high in
May, driven by increases in government spending during the
pandemic, international turmoil, disrupted supply chains and
increased consumer demand in a period of post-COVID-19
restrictions.

The Biden administration has taken the brunt of the blame for
much of the rising prices, with President Biden’s approval
rating hitting historic lows last week in several polls.

Biden, however, has maintained the economy can recover because
of strong job growth and low unemployment rates, a claim he
repeated during an interview Wednesday on ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel
Live!”

“Inflation is the bane of our existence,” Biden said, adding
that “we have the fastest growing economy in the world.”

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/3520293-gas-prices-
hit-new-record-high/
Liz Cheney is an idiot
2022-11-05 08:30:33 UTC
Democrats promote homosexual child molesting and do not hold nigger criminals responsible.
CBS opted to bump a Young Sheldon rerun from its 8 p.m.
primetime slot in favor of the Jan 6th committee hearing on
Thursday evening. The decision backfired.

Just 3.24 million people watched the network's "Capitol Assault
Hearings" coverage Thursday night, according to the TV Ratings
Guide. Exactly one week prior, 3.86 million people tuned into
CBS to watch a Young Sheldon rerun, meaning an old episode of
the coming-of-age sitcom garnered roughly 600,000 more viewers
than the inaugural hearing.

That gap is even more pronounced for new Young Sheldon episodes.
More than seven million people, for example, watched the show's
season five finale, titled "A Clogged Pore, a Little Spanish,
and the Future," during CBS's 8 p.m. slot on Thursday, May 19.
Three weeks earlier, 6.9 million people watched a new episode
titled, "Uncle Sheldon and a Hormonal Firecracker."

The revelation suggests that Democrats will struggle to use the
hearings to attract voters ahead of the November midterm
elections, particularly as Americans experience record-high
inflation and gas prices. Just hours after the hearing's
conclusion, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that
inflation rose 8.6 percent in May, the fastest rate in more than
four decades.

Republicans pointed to that announcement Friday morning to argue
that Democrats are not prioritizing issues that are important to
voters. Google trend data show midterm voters have "very low
interest" in the January 6 riots compared to issues including
jobs, taxes, and inflation, according to Axios.

"While President Biden and Nancy Pelosi are detached from
reality and focused on their political smokescreen January 6
hearings, Kansas families are struggling just to make ends meet
each day as they deal with a level of inflation many of them
have never seen in their lifetimes," Sen. Roger Marshall (R.,
Kan.) said in a statement. "I call on Speaker Pelosi and House
Democrats to hold a prime-time hearing on the out-of-control
inflation their policies have created," House Minority Leader
Kevin McCarthy added in a Friday morning tweet.

Thursday night's hearing is not the last for the Jan. 6th
committee, which will meet three more times next week alone.
Those hearings, however, will almost certainly get fewer
viewers—none are scheduled to air during primetime.

Published under: CBS, January 6, Media

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/resistance-porn-ratings-fail-
jan-6-committee-hearing-crushed-by-young-sheldon-rerun/
Johnathon Bald
2022-12-18 06:49:03 UTC
Democrats promote homosexual child molesting and do not hold nigger criminals responsible.
(The Center Square) – Leaders of corporations have been leaving
California for years, relocating their headquarters, or their
entire operations, out of state, citing high cost of living and
one of the highest tax burdens in the country as their reason,
the California Policy Center notes in its updated California
Book of Exoduses.

While large and small companies are relocating primarily to
Texas, other destinations include Arizona, Tennessee, Florida
and a few other states.

The first to announce its exodus this year was Digital Realty
Trust, a $36 billion company with over 1,500 employees. It
announced last month it was relocating its global headquarters
from San Francisco to Austin, Texas. The real estate investment
trust will keep some of its presence in the Bay Area but is
relocating the bulk of its operations to Texas. Its CEO, A.
William Stein, said he’s doing so because of Texas’ “central
location, affordable cost of living, highly educated workforce,
and supportive business climate.”

Stitch Fix, a personal style service, began to disinvest in
California and reinvest in lower-cost states last year. The $8.3
billion company formerly based in San Francisco laid off 1,400
stylists in California last June. By December, it began creating
a new distribution center in Salt Lake City and this month
announced it was shutting down its South San Francisco
distribution warehouse altogether.

The California Policy Center has catalogued at least 50 large
corporations that have left California since 2014, with the vast
majority leaving in 2019 and 2020.

Of the six corporations that announced their California exodus
so far this year, four relocated to Texas. First Foundation, a
California bank, moved its holding company to Dallas; Digital
Realty Trust moved its data center to Austin, following Oracle,
Hewlett Packard Enterprise and Tesla, which all announced their
exodus last year.

Amazing Magnets, a magnet manufacturer, already broke ground for
its new headquarters in Round Rock, a suburb of Austin. ZP
Better Together, a company providing tech solutions for the
deaf, also relocated its headquarters to Austin.

High profile entrepreneurs also left California last year.
Billionaire Elon Musk, radio host Joe Rogan and DropBox CEO Drew
Houston all moved to Texas.

Notable California venture capitalists David Blumberg, Keith
Rabois and Shutterstock’s billionaire founder Jonathan Oringer
left Silicon Valley for Miami, arguing San Francisco is poorly
managed. Tech billionaire Larry Elison left California for
Hawaii. Conservative talk show host Ben Shapiro left Lost
Angeles for Nashville.

In addition to the Silicon Valley tech companies that already
left California for Texas last year, Charles Schwab relocated
its corporate headquarters from San Francisco to Dallas. Apple
also announced the building of its new campus in Austin.

Survey company QuestionPro also relocated to Austin last year,
as did SignEasy to Dallas, Finical, Inc. to Dallas, Dasan Zhone
Solutions to Plano, and the $23 billion CBRE Group to Dallas.

California saw a cumulative decrease in adjusted gross income
between 2010 and 2018 of $24.6 billion, according to an new
analysis of IRS data by the independent research website
Wirepoints.

It also reported a population loss for the first time in its
recorded history according to Census Bureau data.

Increasing taxes, restrictive policies on businesses and ongoing
lockdowns have led individuals and Silicon Valley companies to
exit California over the last two years, but in 2020 for the
first time California lost 70,000 residents on net.

Until 2020, California had gained population in every year since
1900.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/california/list-of-companies-
leaving-california-grows-citing-high-tax-burden-cost-of-
living/article_b0add24a-753b-11eb-97bc-
5bb1b2df1e43.html#:~:text=The%20first%2
0to%20announce%20its%20exodus%20this%20
year,global%20headquarters%20from%20San
%20Francisco%20to%20Austin%2C%20Texas.
Crack liberal skulls
2022-12-18 09:16:40 UTC
Democrats promote homosexual child molesting and do not hold nigger criminals responsible.
Getting paid to spread careless, aggressive, narcissistic
falsehoods has practically become a contest in a sport long
respected—from within—for its intrinsic guardrails

For the past eight years, the New York Times has employed a
rabble-rousing columnist, or at least word-sequencer, named
Lindsay Crouse. She ran a little at Harvard. Her bio identifies
her as “a senior editor and writer in Opinion” who “produced the
Emmy-nominated Opinion Video series ‘Equal Play.’” Without
saying how, the bio alleges this series to have “brought
widespread reform to women’s sports.”

Instagram (@lindsaycrouse)
On Twitter, where her activity is more revealing than—and often
contradicts—her columns, Crouse is currently pushing her most
recent laughable attempt in the NYT to talk sister-to-sister
to—but still down at—whoever is lapping up her ongoing slurry of
self-congratulatory burbling: “Why I Stopped Running During the
Pandemic (and How I Started Again).” But before getting to that
sloppily contrived bit of deceit, I should offer more background
on this person I’ve occasionally sniped at (how the holy hell
could I not? She wants the attention).

I’ve mentioned Crouse’s work here before. She is simply awful at
a job she’s fundamentally ill-suited for and intentionally
abusing on top of that, and getting worse by the unabashedly
untrue mailed-in column (Why has no one noticed that the title
of this one doesn’t even match the content?). Even without the
benefit of her Twitter activity, it’s plain to any teenager of
normal social sophistication that she is both too driven by
personal neuroses and too unwilling to acknowledge, much less
confront, her many serious errors to be capable of ever rising
to the level of, well, capable. This could be shortened to “She
lies about practically everything” with no loss of information,
but it’s of some interest why someone given her lofty position
would treat it with such shocking disrespect, and why few people
seem to care that the NYT charges subscribers to read what
amounts to clumsily written victim-fiction, if that’s even a
genre.

Crouse has averaged about a column a month during her career at
the NYT, with the bulk of her workday, like that of many members
of the paid media, evidently spent flitting around on social
media. All of the columns I’ve sampled are bad to varying
degrees, and if I didn’t know better, I would ask how someone
with so little command of her own dazed intellect and impulses
got into Harvard. But the most unwittingly self-debasing of
these columns is, fittingly, the one she seems most proud of so
far: Bragging that at 35, she was running faster than ever,
bragging that she took a stab at the Olympic Trials standard and
missed by a mere eight-plus minutes, bragging about all the
great things she’s done for running despite this near-miss at
world-class status at an advanced age.

Absent from this was the fact that 35 is only old if you’re a
single liberal woman with a herpetic persona, an aversion to the
truth, and a Manhattan address who believes, against all reason,
that she should be a finalist on The Bachelorette.

Deena Kastor was 35 when she won the 2008 Olympic Marathon
Trials. Shalane Flanagan was sixth at the Olympic Marathon at 35
and won the New York City Marathon at 36. Desi Linden was a few
months shy of 35 when she won the Boston Marathon in 2018. Sara
Hall ran a personal-best 2:20:32 marathon in December at 37.
Stephanie Bruce, who turned 37 in January, has set all of her
significant personal bests after turning 35. Bringing up Keira
D’Amato probably seems like overkill, but D’Amato didn’t emerge
onto the scene until after Crouse ejaculated her farcical look
at meeee flyyyyy! column.

Crouse knows very well who all of these women are and how old
they are, because she sucks up to them at every opportunity (and
sadly, in a grim symbiosis, some of the pros reciprocate). She
also understands, though, that there are differences between
those elites and herself that have nothing to do with talent,
and doesn’t want to face these because she’s convinced that
she’s Special.

The piece is also revealing for what Crouse visibly does not
engage in: One instant of self-reflection, an absolute must for
any serious competitive runner. If the goal was 2:45 but the
time was 2:53, what went wrong? Not enough training? Race-day
strategy blunders? Skipped aid stations? The wrong perfume or
hair-tie? Hairy, flatulent males gruffly drifting into and out
of her path for miles on end? These are all, or mostly, things
both Crouse and readers could learn from, if she, the NYT, and
those readers actually gave a rip about reading an honest
testimonial, and if this were not all performative art for white
professional women wallowing in First World emotional ruts.

In her latest piece, dated March 7, Crouse, rather than puff her
chest over her running and professional chops, tries to play the
role of “I overcame inertia and maybe you can too” guru, saying
that she quit running during the pandemic despite starting the
shutdown in the prime of her athletic life:

So last month I finally started running again. At first all I
did was sprint for 30 seconds. I ran on the same path in Central
Park, where a year ago I would log 20-mile workouts that now
feel like dreams. I can’t hit those speeds right now for even a
minute.

Crouse’s drivel about dragging her sorry ass back onto the Upper
East Side (that’s actually a guess) is supposed to be
“inspiring,” but nowhere in it is there anything a real runner
could hope to use. Or maybe there is, and it’s left gasping by
the gaping holes in the greater narrative.

“Last month” is obviously sometime in February (and the fact
that she doesn’t give an exact date for what should have been a
triumphant event is suspect, but as you’ll see, not required for
this shredding). Yet in mid-January, Crouse posted this:

It wasn’t a one-off. Crouse’s public Strava profile has her
running sporadically for most of 2020, but she rallied to put in
about 110 miles in both December and January, even getting over
50 miles in a single January week, before apparently stopping,
not starting, in or just before February. (I can’t prove she
hasn’t been running 10, 15 or 50 unlogged miles a day for weeks
on end, but the presence of activity during a supposed hiatus is
harder to explain.)

That’s really it: Lindsay Crouse, a senior editor at The New
York Times, is not only lying in her columns, but she obviously
doesn’t care if she gets caught. (I considered the idea that
she’s just really bad at covering her tracks, but she can’t be
that stupid…right?).

Shouldn’t people care about this? Why do I feel like a
conspiracy nut for suggesting that journalists—even op-ed
writers—should aim for the truth? But once more, this is part of
the slow burn of Wokish tactics, where they co-opt language
(e.g., “white supremacy” as a baseline condition of Western
society) as well as lie en masse (“Trans women are biological
women!”) until people in the non-Twitter-engaged or otherwise
distant world just stop resisting at all.

Crouse, by the way, was not interested in explaining to me the
gross discrepancy between her column and her Strava data.

Twitter avatar for @kevinmbeck
Kevin Beck
@kevinmbeck
Hate to be repetitive, but @lindsaycrouse is flat-out lying
about her extended break from running, as Strava and her own
tweets confirm.

As much of a bad joke as the NYT has become, it technically
remains a media outlet. Readers, especially paying subscribers,
deserve better.
Image
Image
Lindsay Crouse @lindsaycrouse

The newsletter @thesmallbow asked me to chat — one of the
questions was about being proud of never dropping out. I've been
thinking about that a lot lately. https://t.co/0wWMm3H091
https://t.co/QNkfKKzlN2
March 12th 2021

1 Like
Regardless of Crouse’s personal peccadilloes, the message in
these “I am upper-class and white and woman, and these are my
struggles” columns in outlets like the NYT appears to have
shifted over the years from

"I'm struggling and having a hard time overcoming my human weak
spots, and that's okay. Here's what my struggles look like."

"I'm struggling and lying about triumphing over my human weak
spots, and that's okay. Here's what my lying looks like."

That’s pretty sad. What have we become when people can’t just
admit they’re in a funk and stuck there and that’s how it is? Be
really vulnerable instead of a lecturing princess?

Or maybe the sport, to include the awkward, 180-beats-per-minute
parades known as road races, has simply grown too large. Perhaps
some people really just shouldn’t pretend that they are real
runners at heart, even of they’ve flogged their flesh hard
enough to bumble across a few finish lines. If you need a
constant kick in the ass, and sit on that ass for most of a
pandemic despite having nothing better to do besides masturbate
weepily to “Poker Face,” you’re not naturally compulsive enough
to consider yourself an actual runner. You may be “off,” but in
the wrong ways. At best, you can regularly put yourself in a
position to follow directions, or “feel” inspired, if
congratulated often enough along the way. I say these things
because the running world would be much improved if its sizable
contingent of posers just admitted they want the burned calories
and toned glutes (that doesn’t really work; my ass is naturally
hard), but don’t really enjoy all that huffing and puffing and
sweating alone, and slunk off to some other pursuit with an
equally welcoming gateway to Instagram fame. (The noisy con
artists, I mean, not everyone suffering from legitimate
motivational or other problems, or with a penchant for showing a
lot of skin—those are the cons’ marks.)

Such are my thoughts on “inclusion.” Honor the sport in whatever
way your God allows, whoever you are and wherever you come from,
or take the wounds and baggage you have brought into
running—running hasn’t done bitch-tits to you—to your therapist.
(Or do both, like I do at times.)

I suppose this could all end with Crouse declaring a mental-
health emergency and blaming stress, or me, or some other
external factor for being a highly paid newspaper editor with a
longstanding disregard for facts. But I’ve left something out:
Crouse doesn’t have any excuses. She knows just what she’s
doing, and she’s royal scum of the earth. I would prefer to
report these ideas, pleasantly, directly to her cherubic,
pleasant face.

I make this claim because Crouse has risen to the defense of a
fellow NYT degenerate, a really bad one, named Taylor Lorenz.

Twitter avatar for @kevinmbeck
Kevin Beck
@kevinmbeck
The "talented colleague" @lindsaycrouse praises here is a proven
dirtbag, as is everyone in the @nytimes newsroom.

Crouse one-ups her on the immorality scale by tying Lorenz's
"harassment" to the real abuse a pro runner has experienced.

Sociopathic.

greenwald.substack.com/p/criticizing-…
Lindsay ***@lindsaycrouse

After watching what my talented colleague @TaylorLorenz has been
going through it is so outrageous to see these stories keep
unfolding. Just because it hasn't happened to you or someone you
know yet—there is no reason to think it won't. All these women
did was succeed.
March 14th 2021

1 Like
I’ll dig into why Lorenz is a smirking harpy next time, but
please do read this (paying attention to the title) and this
first. The little shrew should be out of a journalism job and
cleaning urinals with her face in whatever gym Joe Rogan goes to.

There is a sound if dispiriting reason that preachy, unmoored-
and-unmonitored dingbats like Crouse and gaslighting fools like
Lorenz, who seem to have no handle on what their job entails and
screw it up on social media even when not writing inaccurate
stories, are able to remain employed in good standing, and it
all comes back to Wokish misandry and other form of open and
accepted contempt for people not in the right ethnic, gender or
age groups anymore.

The second part of this is almost written, but I’m sensing that
tossing out posts topping 3,000 words, or 2,500, or even 2,000,
might not be the best way to encourage people to read them when
they arrive by email (or at all). So, starting today, I’m making
an effort to stop typing when the scroll bar on the right has
shrunk to a barely visible sliver. Or before.

Plus, thinking about this stuff on a real level bothers me. I
become a worse person as I type, then ruminate over how much of
the venom to neutralize before distributing the result. Every
dive into a new Wokish pool starts out as interesting in a
ghastly way, and then I realize that society has lost its mind,
or at least one of the parts of society I’m invested in. It also
brings up not-so-distant memories of this crank. And unlike the
problems and attendant miseries of my own making I used to
create, digging into this crap is entirely optional. Maybe.

So why bother? This feels worthy, but it’s optional stress.

At the same time, a serious wizard curse (spell?) on anyone
who’s been a part of these sad, sorry, gelatinous displays. You
all know who you are, and if I were an ignorant, self-loathing-
but-blame-externalizing coward, I suppose I’d hide in the safe
shadows of the other dregs too.

EmilyMay 27, 2021Liked by Kevin Beck
That's the chick who used her ex boyfriend dating a superstar to
further her career. They broke up a decade ago yet she acted
like it was the year before lol.. The article got a lot of hype
(because of course she used Lady Gaga in the headline to get
people to click) but if you look behind the thinly veiled "women
supporting women" front you can tell she's clearly still pissed
at her ex for dumping her and trying to glean anything she can
from his success in life and love. She knows that was her reason
to because she gets embarrassed whenever she's asked about it in
interviews and changes the subject. I guess we could blame the
culture at NYT. She has worked there since 2011 and hadn't
really made much of a mark off her own back. Watching all your
colleagues prosper while you ride on their coat tails must make
you a bit desperate especially when you want to be a star
journalist. But yeah a lot of her articles are fluff pieces
dressed up to be Very Important, Deep Thinking on Cultural
Issues.

https://kevinbeck.substack.com/p/runnings-influencers-editors-
and?s=r
Johnathon Bald
2022-12-18 12:17:44 UTC
Democrats are all crooks.
(The Center Square) – California has a larger unfunded pension
liability than any other state in the nation, a new report
released this week.

The report, released by the American Legislative Exchange
Council (ALEC), found that unfunded pension liabilities
nationwide have climbed to $8.28 trillion, “or just under
$25,000 for every man, woman and child in the United States.”

The report found that California has the greatest amount of
unfunded pension liabilities of any state, totaling over $1.5
trillion.

That amount is a rough estimation of how much the average
pensioner will receive for the projected duration of their lives
in retirement, also factoring in the number of pensioners,
active workers and beneficiaries. After subtracting the
pension’s assets and expected return on investments, the
unfunded actuarial liability is found. It doesn’t include other
pension benefits such as state-paid health care.

According to Ballotpedia, there were 82 public pension systems
in California in 2020. Of those, 10 were state-level programs
and 72 were administered locally. As of 2020, more than 4.4
million Californians were members of the various pension
systems, according to Ballotpedia.

ALEC’s report reviewed 290 state-administered pension plans
across the nation and their assets and liabilities from fiscal
years 2012 to 2020.

The California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) and
the California Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS) are the two
largest pension systems in the nation. The pension funds have a
combined portfolio of more than $570 billion and have 2.7
million Californians as members, according to the state
controller’s office.

CalPERS was 70.6% funded as of June 30, 2020 and had $163
billion in unfunded liabilities, while CalSTRS was 67% funded
with $106 billion in unfunded liabilities as of November 2021,
according to the Reason Foundation. In November, CalPERS
announced changes that would require some public employees in
California to contribute more of their pay to retirement.

There is no state in the nation that has fully funded its
pension plans. Wisconsin has the highest funding ratio in the
nation at 56%, while New Jersey has the lowest at under 18%.

Pension funding health is important not only for participants of
the funds but taxpayers who contribute the lion’s share of the
funding. A poorly-funded pension will require more tax dollars
in annual contributions, crowding out other priorities.

ALEC’s report calls for “sound pension reform,” saying that
“poor assumptions, over promising benefits, chasing returns, and
political investment strategies plague public pensions across
the country.”

California made efforts to reform its pension system through the
California Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013. The act
took effect on Jan. 1, 2013, and placed compensation limits on
members.

One such limitation polices pension “spiking,” which entails a
public employee adding more responsibility or working overtime
in the last years of their employment to inflate how much they
should be receiving in annual benefits from pension funds.

https://www.thecentersquare.com/california/report-at-1-5-
trillion-california-has-nations-largest-public-pension-debt-
load/article_b77e67bc-e842-11ec-ba2b-83e39b9717cd.html#tncms-
source=infinity-scroll-summary-sticky-siderail-latest
Memphis coon season
2023-01-05 18:37:33 UTC
Some say they were lovers.
Epstein and Pete's Friendship.
Besides the Acosta connection, Epstein had other ties
to Bill Clinton, Chuck Schumer, Nadless Nadler, Adam Schiff,
Kevin Spacey, Gavin Newsom, Joe Biden and other Democrat
pedophiles.
Cheney Pelosi Jan 6 Dumpster Fire
2023-01-07 20:52:41 UTC
Think about
How much dark money Joe didn't report any taxes on, or the money
he got from Hunter that he didn't report and pay taxes on.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2023-01-07 20:58:19 UTC
On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:52:41 +0100 (CET), Cheney Pelosi Jan 6 Dumpster
Think about
How
you manage to dress yourself in the morning?
pothead
2023-01-08 00:22:29 UTC
Post by Cheney Pelosi Jan 6 Dumpster Fire
Think about
How much dark money Joe didn't report any taxes on, or the money
he got from Hunter that he didn't report and pay taxes on.
"Bombshell report alleges Biden family had 150+ suspicious bank activity flags"

This is about to begin to get interesting.
--
pothead
Tommy Chong For President 2024.
Impeach Joe Biden 2022.
Johnathon Bald

But Trump!
2023-01-15 15:31:58 UTC
Gov. Gavin Newsom, D-Calif., misrepresented his wildfire preparedness and even disinvested in prevention.
LEE VINING, Mono County — The few who live along the shores of
Mono Lake are accustomed to the peculiarities of this high
desert basin.

Famously strange limestone spires known as tufa towers rise from
the water. The lake contains so much salt that it’s barren of
fish. In the arid sands beyond, sagebrush thrives, and that’s
about it.

But the alkali flats that are emerging from the lake’s surface,
ghost white, aren’t just another nod to the uniqueness of this
ancient place. They’re a sign of trouble. Amid a third year of
drought, the sprawling lake on the remote east side of the
Sierra Nevada is sharply receding, and the small towns and
wildlife so closely tied to the water are feeling the pinch.

Already, parts of the lake popular with kayakers, beachgoers and
tribal members have dried up. Fierce dust storms blow off the
exposed lake bottom and cloud the skies with some of the
nation’s worst air pollution. A land bridge is forming to
islands with tens of thousands of nesting gulls, threatening to
bring coyotes within easy reach of baby birds.

“It affects everybody, that lake — we all live around it,” said
Marianne Denny, a 40-year resident of the basin who says “the
white stuff,” indicative of the lake’s decline, is among the
most she’s ever seen. “Hopefully we’ll live to see more water.”

The drought bearing down on Mono Lake and the rest of California
picks up on a two-decade run of extreme warming and drying. It’s
a product of the changing climate that has begun to profoundly
reshape the landscape of the West and how people live within it.
From less alpine snow and emptying reservoirs to parched forests
and increased wildfire, the change is posing new, and often
difficult, challenges.

At Mono Lake, an emblem of the state’s wild and distinct beauty,
the reckoning has been a long time coming.

For eight decades, the city of Los Angeles has piped water from
four creeks that feed the lake to its facilities 350 miles to
the south, sometimes diverting almost all of the inflow. It’s a
familiar California tale of old water rights yielding inordinate
benefit.

The concerns at the lake, though, were supposed to have been
resolved. In 1994, after a lengthy environmental campaign that
spurred “Save Mono Lake” bumper stickers on vehicles up and down
California, state water regulators put caps on L.A.’s exports.
Slowly, lake levels rose. But they did not rise as much as they
were supposed to.

Drought, on top of a climate that’s changed faster than
expected, has slowed progress. On April 1, the typical start of
the lake’s runoff season, the water level measured 6,379.9 feet
above sea level, about 12 feet short of the state target. Before
Los Angeles began drawing water from the creeks here, the lake
was nearly 40 feet higher.

“A lot of Californians who know about Mono Lake think, thank
goodness, we got it on the success list,” said Geoff McQuilkin,
executive director of the nonprofit Mono Lake Committee, which
advocates for the basin. “The thing is we’ve given it 20 years,
now 28 years, and we’re still seeing the problems they thought
would be gone by now.”

McQuilkin and his staff run an information center and bookstore
out of an old dance hall in Lee Vining, the only community on
the lake with a gas station and grocery store. It’s about a five-
hour drive from San Francisco. Tourists on scenic Highway 395
can stop at the center and learn about the area.

If they spend some time, they’ll learn that many residents here
want the state to revisit its recovery plan for the lake — and
force Los Angeles to surrender more water.

<https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/26/53/40/22722568/3/ratio3x2_1200
.jpg>
<https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/26/53/40/22722572/3/ratio3x2_1200
.jpg>

On a recent morning, McQuilkin walked along the quiet north
shore of the 70-square-mile lake.

Above, the Sierra crest loomed, and below stood the wide expanse
of the unveiled lake bottom. It’s colored white from salt that
rises to the surface with groundwater.

Like its sister, the Great Salt Lake in Utah, Mono Lake is
brimming with salt — about 2œ times more so than the ocean —
because it has no outlet for drainage. Thousands of years of
evaporation have concentrated minerals in the lake and the
groundwater beneath it. The lake is believed to be at least
760,000 years old, and maybe a few million, making it one of the
oldest in North America.

“There’s just all these interesting things here,” McQuilkin
said. “Californians do not want to let this go.”

The tufa spires that lift from the shallow water are also a
result of the lake’s unusual water chemistry. They’ve formed
over centuries as carbonates in the lake mix with calcium from
underwater springs and coalesce as mineral deposits that look
like giant slabs of coral reef.

Because of the unique environment, the lake’s inhabitants are
limited: mainly brine shrimp and hovering alkali flies. These
critters, though, provide food for as many as a million
migratory birds annually, including eared grebes and Wilson’s
and red-necked phalaropes.

McQuilkin is watching, in particular, the California gulls. He
wants to make sure they’re safe. In the summer, about a quarter
of this gull’s total population nests on the lake’s Negit
Islets, which are at risk of being invaded by predators because
of a land bridge emerging in the increasingly shallow water. The
birds already abandoned one of the main islands, Negit Island,
decades ago because it became connected to the mainland with
lower lake levels.

“There’s no question that coyotes can swim across that,”
McQuilkin said, looking at the channel between the current
islands and the north shore. “We’re just hoping they don’t.”

Five cameras that McQuilkin and his colleagues have set up
monitor for coyotes. The Mono Lake Committee keeps more than a
mile of electric fence on hand that employees plan to string out
if the wild canines begin to amass. So far, the cameras have
picked up just two passers-by.

The group debuted the temporary barrier during last decade’s
drought, when coyotes started making their way to the islands
and scouting for eggs and young birds.

This year, the group hopes the lake bottom will remain partially
submerged at least until next month, when most of the newborn
gulls will have hatched and be ready to fly off to places like
San Francisco Bay.

Next year is a different story. Even if the Sierra gets a lot of
snow come winter, melt-off into the lake won’t arrive until late
spring and summer, so lake levels will likely be even lower when
the gulls return. McQuilkin said the fence will almost certainly
go up then.

At the home of Priscilla and Cole Hawkins, the exposed lake bed
on the north shore means dust, and sometimes lots of it.

Strong desert winds can pick up the mineral-laden soil and carry
it for miles.

“We call them dust devils,” said Priscilla, whose off-the-grid
property backs up to the lake and offers big vistas of the tall
peaks in Yosemite National Park, at least when the air is clear.

Cole bought the house with his wife two decades ago, moving in
full time a few years back. The dust is not a problem that
often, he said, but when it is, it can be severe, limiting
visibility to less than a quarter-mile. He compares the dust
storms to fog banks with debris.

“When it gets really bad, we go inside or head for the hills,”
he said, looking out at a blue sky on this particular afternoon.
“We’ve come back to the house and it’s almost like sand on the
curtains.”

The dust, which is tracked by the local air district under the
label PM10, or particulate matter that is 10 microns in diameter
or less, is a health issue, district officials say. The
particles can lodge deep in the lungs and cause tissue damage
and lung inflammation.

In nine of the past 10 years, the Mono Lake area has had the
distinction of racking up more federal air quality violations
for PM10 than any other place in the nation, according to the
district. In 2016, during last decade’s drought, federal air
standards were breached on 33 days.

The past few years haven’t seen as many violations, according to
data from the Great Basin Unified Air Pollution Control
District. However, Phill Kiddoo, air pollution control officer
for the agency, says the trend line remains bad.

“Mono Lake probably has some of the best air quality in the
nation 90% of the days of the year, but on windy days, we have
some of the worst,” he said.

With less snow and less runoff in the Sierra to fill the lake in
recent years, Kiddoo, whose job it is to try to keep the skies
clean, believes it’s time for Los Angeles to further reduce its
draws from the basin.

“Every inch of lake-level rise that we can get protects air
quality,” he said.

The State Water Resources Control Board, which regulates water
draws, told The Chronicle that it is paying attention to the
lake, the basin and to the thirst that’s compromised them.

While acknowledging that the lake’s rise has stalled — lake
levels have generally hovered a little more than 10 feet below
the target for a decade — state officials credit water
restrictions for at least stabilizing things.

Owens Lake, about 150 miles to the south, was not so fortunate.
The lake was sucked dry by Southern California water diversions
almost a century ago and is nothing but salt flats today.

The 1994 regulation at Mono Lake established caps on how much
Los Angeles can draw from the feeder creeks based on how high
the lake is. This year, the city’s diversions were limited to
4,500 acre-feet of water, about enough to supply 60,000
residents, according to the city. If the lake had been 3 feet
lower, no water could have been drawn.

Erik Ekdahl, a deputy director at the State Water Board, said
the changing climate, notably the “aridification” of the West,
has constrained lake levels more than regulators anticipated and
the agency will likely have to re-evaluate its regulation.

“We are at the point where we do want to start asking, ‘What are
the next steps?’ and ‘What’s the timeline for having a more
thorough discussion?’” he said.

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power insists that
whatever comes of future deliberations, more water restrictions
are not the answer.

In an email to The Chronicle, the department’s managing water
utility engineer, Paul Liu, said the city’s draws had a
negligible impact on the lake’s decline, compared to drought and
other climate factors.

The city, in recent years, has reduced diversions to about 12%
of the water in the creeks flowing to Mono Lake where it has
water rights, he said. Meanwhile, the city has spent tens of
millions of dollars to help restore the creeks and promote
healthy runoff. About 3% of the city’s total water comes from
these creeks, Liu said, a supply that is small but considered
vital.

“In a scenario where Mono basin exports to Los Angeles are
reduced or cut off completely, that shortfall will have to be
made up by increasing exports from the State Water Project or
the Colorado River, which are both extremely strained and
limited as well,” wrote Liu.

But Christine Garrison, like many who live in the area, says
something has to be done, and sooner rather than later.

On a recent morning, the Mono County native pulled into the Old
Marina near Lee Vining, a spontaneous stop at the lake that took
her back to her youth. A descendant of the Mono Lake Paiute,
Garrison used to watch her grandmother walk the lakeshore and
collect the pupae of the alkali fly, a traditional protein-rich
delicacy called kutsavi.

Garrison put on her “irrigation boots” with the intention of
scooping up pupae, but then stopped. The waterline was too low
to proceed.

“I had to go so far out that I was afraid I’d get stuck in the
mud,” she said. “I could still smell (the kutsavi), though.”

She added: “When there’s no water in the lake, everything goes.”

Kurtis Alexander is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer.
Email: ***@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @kurtisalexander

https://www.sfchronicle.com/climate/article/mono-lake-drought-
17318513.php