Attention Walmart Shoppers...
Biden Lost In His Own Mind
2022-11-24 15:26:38 UTC
hotair.com
A credit card industry group has approved a plan to track sales of guns and ammo
with a new merchant code
John Sexton
CBS News has a big scoop this afternoon. The industry group that sets
international standards for credit card companies has decided to create a new
code for the purchase of guns and ammo that, while not identifying the exact
purchases, will separate those items from the more generic category they had
been lumped in with previously.
Merchant category codes are made up of four digits and are used across all
sorts of industries as a means to classify retailers, while not revealing
individual product purchases. Credit card companies currently lump firearm
retailers in with other outlets, classifying them as either "5999: Miscellaneous
retail stores" or "5941: Sporting Goods Stores."
With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing
patterns could be flagged to law enforcement - much the same way banks and
credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for
other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to
terrorist financing.
This is part of a plan being pushed by congressional Democrats after Amalgamated
Bank of New York, a progressive bank that often involves itself in social
issues, made repeated attempts to push for the new code, all of which were
denied.
A group of congressional Democrats is urging credit card companies to track
suspect firearm and ammunition purchases as a means to identify and stop gun
crime, according to a letter obtained by CBS News Thursday.
The letter, drafted by Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Rep.
Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania and signed by over a dozen of their colleagues,
urges the CEOs of Mastercard, American Express and Visa to back the creation of
a merchant category code for gun and ammunition retailers - a measure the
industry had initially resisted, according to an investigation by CBS News in
June.
"The creation of a new [merchant category code] for gun and ammunition retail
stores would be the first step towards facilitating the collection of valuable
financial data that could help law enforcement in countering the financing of
terrorism efforts," the letter says.
So it looks like the congressional pressure worked. The new code has been
approved but it sounds like Visa is not happy about it even as the CEO of
Amalgamated Bank is celebrating.
In a letter obtained by CBS News, sent by Visa on Wednesday in response to
congressional Democrats who supported the plan, the company said, "We believe
that asking payment networks to serve as a moral authority by deciding which
legal goods can or cannot be purchased sets a dangerous precedent."
Visa wrote, "We understood Amalgamated Bank's request to be justified, at
least in part, by an interest in blocking transactions that would fall under
such a new category, and Visa's rules expressly prohibit blocking of legal
transactions under an MCC.".
"We all have to do our part to stop gun violence," said Priscilla Sims Brown,
President and CEO of Amalgamated Bank. "And it sometimes starts with illegal
purchases of guns and ammunition. The new code will allow us to fully comply
with our duty to report suspicious activity and illegal gun sales to authorities
without blocking or impeding legal gun sales. This action answers the call of
millions of Americans who want safety from gun violence and we are proud to have
led the broad coalition of advocates, shareholders, and elected officials that
achieved this historic outcome."
Priscilla Sims Brown recently appeared on CNBC where she was asked about her
effort to push the new category code for guns. "If we did have a merchant code
for gun stores we could detect patterns that would indicate that there had been
something unusual going on," Brown said. She says all the banks will do is file
a suspicious activity report at which point it would be up to local or federal
law enforcement to act on those reports (she wasn't very clear about who would
be doing the follow up).
If that's so, why is Visa concerned about attempts to block transactions using
these codes? I just checked and so far Elizabeth Warren hasn't posted any tweets
celebrating this outcome. She'll probably get around to it this weekend.
https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2022/09/09/the-credit-card-industry-has-approved-a-plan-to-track-sales-of-guns-and-ammo-n495512
Stupidity and alarming.

This is yet another attack on law abiding citizens and their
privacy.

Criminals don't use credit cards to purchase firearms and
ammunition. It's cash and carry - unless they are Democrat
stupid.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-24 16:19:14 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:26:38 +0100 (CET), in talk.politics.guns Biden
Post by Biden Lost In His Own Mind
Criminals don't use credit cards to purchase firearms and
ammunition. It's cash and carry - unless they are Democrat
stupid.
Nonsense! Career criminals might not have credit cards; however, a
mass shooter is *very* likely to purchase his assault rifle and
ammunition on a credit card a few days or hours prior to the event.
Klaus Schadenfreude
And what, exactly, are they going to do about it, you bumbling idiot?
Just Wondering
2022-11-24 17:42:40 UTC
Post by Klaus Schadenfreude
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
Post by Biden Lost In His Own Mind
Criminals don't use credit cards to purchase firearms and
ammunition. It's cash and carry - unless they are Democrat
stupid.
Nonsense! Career criminals might not have credit cards; however, a
mass shooter is *very* likely to purchase his assault rifle and
ammunition on a credit card a few days or hours prior to the event.
And what, exactly, are they going to do about it, you bumbling idiot?
Should we tell Ono that a mass shooter isn't likely to purchase an
assault rifle, because
(a) the weapon a mass shooter is likely to purchase is a handgun,
not a long gun of any sort, and
(b) by definition an assault rifle is select fire (i.e. capable of
full auto fire) and cannot be bought "on a credit card a few days
or hours prior to the event"?
Or should we let him/her/it remain in blissful ignorance?
Klaus Schadenfreude
2022-11-24 18:14:26 UTC
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
[...]
I'm not aware of any gang members accepting VISA so if anyone is using
a VISA to make a purchase in a gun store, and it happens to be a
firearm, it will be after a background check. And VISA won't be able
to tell WHAT was purchased, only an amount. And even if they did, what
would they do about it?

We'll allow Jones to brine himself in ignorance.
unknown
2022-11-24 23:00:31 UTC
And VISA won't be able to tell WHAT was purchased, only an amount.
If you make a purchase in a gun store, wouldn't that be guns or gun
related purchases? Are you stupid or something, or you were born that way?
Just Wondering
2022-11-24 23:51:29 UTC
Post by unknown
And VISA won't be able to tell WHAT was purchased, only an amount.
If you make a purchase in a gun store, wouldn't that be guns or gun
related purchases? Are you stupid or something, or you were born that way?
The purchase could be optics, or targets, or clothing, or a safe,
or a whole bunch of other stuff that gun stores sell besides guns.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 03:33:53 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:51:29 -0700, in talk.politics.guns Just
Post by Just Wondering
The purchase could be optics, or targets, or clothing, or a safe,
or a whole bunch of other stuff that gun stores sell besides guns.
If you don't like it, use cash... or put the money in brokerage and
let it draw interest. More and more "big ticket" shops are offering a
discount to their cash-paying customers. Credit card companies rake
off about 3% of the transaction... more for a small business.
Scout
2022-11-29 12:32:13 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Post by unknown
And VISA won't be able to tell WHAT was purchased, only an amount.
If you make a purchase in a gun store, wouldn't that be guns or gun
related purchases? Are you stupid or something, or you were born that way?
The purchase could be optics, or targets, or clothing, or a safe,
or a whole bunch of other stuff that gun stores sell besides guns.
Heck, I could go down to Walmart... and buy something.. does that make is a
gun or gun related purchase?

Does he know that Walmart sells guns?

In fact a lot of 'gun stores' sell stuff that aren't guns or gun related.

Of course, since Rudy doesn't know what he's talking about, as usual, of
course he asks such stupid and ignorant questions.

He doesn't even know the facts, yet he wants to set policy.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 03:16:17 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 18:00:31 -0500, in talk.politics.guns Mighty
Post by unknown
If you make a purchase in a gun store, wouldn't that be guns or gun
related purchases? Are you stupid or something, or you were born that way?
It means very little. After *every* mass shooting, everyone wrings
their hands and cries about all of the clues that were missed and how
the "red flag" laws should have been used. That part usually comes a
day or so after the "thoughts and prayers" bit.

The credit card companies are in business to make money; they don't
want to get too chummy with the cops.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2022-11-25 11:48:07 UTC
Post by unknown
And VISA won't be able to tell WHAT was purchased, only an amount.
If you make a purchase in a gun store, wouldn't that be guns or gun
related purchases? Are you stupid or something, or you were born that way?
Are you so stupid that you think purchasing a gun safe needs to be
acted upon by VISA?

WHY are you this stupid is what I want to know. Is it drugs?
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-24 22:42:13 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:42:40 -0700, in talk.politics.guns Just
Post by Just Wondering
Should we tell Ono that a mass shooter isn't likely to purchase an
assault rifle, because
(a) the weapon a mass shooter is likely to purchase is a handgun,
not a long gun of any sort, and
(b) by definition an assault rifle is select fire (i.e. capable of
full auto fire) and cannot be bought "on a credit card a few days
or hours prior to the event"?
Or should we let him/her/it remain in blissful ignorance?
We have already established that your "by definition" is different
from my "by definition". I am aware that the gun lobby uses the
presence of a selector switch as the criterion because they do not
like the term "assault rifle". Spanning all networks, the six o'clock
news, however, will almost always say: "assault rifle", even if it was
known to be a semi automatic version.

They also say that you should: "eat healthy food..."; it's
grammatically incorrect, of course, but everyone says it thus, so that
makes it correct because that's how the language is commonly used.
*I* will always say: "healthful food"; however, I won't try to correct
you if you say" "healthy food".

I will continue to call the favored weapon of mass shooters an
"assault rifle". If this causes you mental anguish, I'm glad.

Insofar as it would be anatomically possible, please go fuck yourself.
(Consider using your forefinger?)
Just Wondering
2022-11-24 23:43:04 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Should we tell Ono that a mass shooter isn't likely to purchase an
assault rifle, because
(a) the weapon a mass shooter is likely to purchase is a handgun,
not a long gun of any sort, and
(b) by definition an assault rifle is select fire (i.e. capable of
full auto fire) and cannot be bought "on a credit card a few days
or hours prior to the event"?
Or should we let him/her/it remain in blissful ignorance?
We have already established that your "by definition" is different
from my "by definition". I am aware that the gun lobby uses the
presence of a selector switch as the criterion because they do not
like the term "assault rifle". Spanning all networks, the six o'clock
news, however, will almost always say: "assault rifle", even if it was
known to be a semi automatic version.

The hoplophobe gun grabber-type news crowd concocted and use
the term "assault WEAPON", a meaningless term chosen for a
high negative semantic value, which if you are REALLY observant
you will not is not "assault rifle", AND which unlike "assault
weapon" actually has a meaning.
https://www.britannica.com/technology/assault-rifle
Read the article, it has nothing to do with "the gun lobby".
Contrast with https://www.britannica.com/technology/assault-weapon: Page
Not Found

But don't let your ignorance get in the way of your narrative.

You apparently derive your use of English from the
Humptpy Dumpty philosophy of language.
“I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " Alice said.
Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't—til
I tell you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!' "
"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument'," Alice objected.
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone,
"it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 03:10:27 UTC
You call it as you please; I will call it as *I* please. If that
bothers you, get over it.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 14:09:34 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:43:04 -0700, in talk.politics.guns Just
Post by Just Wondering
The hoplophobe gun grabber-type news crowd concocted and use
the term "assault WEAPON", a meaningless term chosen for a
high negative semantic value, which if you are REALLY observant
you will not is not "assault rifle", AND which unlike "assault
weapon" actually has a meaning.
I'm reminded of the story about the man who limped into his doctor's
office. The doctor asked him what happened, to which he replied: "I
was pouring a driveway. I tried to lift wheelbarrow with too much
cement in it and injured my back."

The doctor snorted derisively: "No you didn't!"

"But," the man protested, "I'm in great pain!"

"That's not the point," continued the doctor, "The wheelbarrow
contained *concrete*, not cement. Cement may be a component of your
driveway; however, concrete is is a composite material composed of
fine and coarse aggregate bonded together with a fluid cement paste of
cement and water that hardens, or sets... some may say 'cures', over
time. Here, read this web page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete."

*My* point, JW, is that what you call the gun used in a mass shooting
is a distinction without a difference.
Just Wondering
2022-11-25 17:03:23 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
The hoplophobe gun grabber-type news crowd concocted and use
the term "assault WEAPON", a meaningless term chosen for a
high negative semantic value, which if you are REALLY observant
you will not is not "assault rifle", AND which unlike "assault
weapon" actually has a meaning.
[Lame off-point anecdote omitted]
A small business had an economic reversal and was forced to
downsize. The manager called told his supervisor, "It looks
like I'm going to have to either lay Jill or Jack off."
He might have said something like "I need to fire either Jack
or Jill" which has the same meaning. The supervisor misunderstood
and replied, "Then you'd better jack off because there's no way
you're going to lay Jill."
Yes, the correct choice of words does mean something.
*My* point, JW, is that what you call the gun used in a mass
shooting is a distinction without a difference.
Your point is incorrect. What you call the gun can drive any
ensuing conversation about what should be done.

It makes a difference when people use the shooting to push to
ban semiautomatic rifles by demonizing them as fully automatic,
when the overwhelming majority of mass shootings are committed
with handguns not long guns, and when fewer than one in a million
semiautomatic long guns are used to commit a mass shooting. To
the extent the tool is the problem (it's not, the person is the
problem), the problem tool is handguns.

Just in general, words have meaning. Communication is hindered
when you choose the wrong word. when used to describe a person,
"black" and "nigger" may refer to the same person, but the first
word is generally accepted as descriptive while the latter is
used to provoke a negative emotional response. Similarly,
"assault rifle" is merely descriptive of a select-fire small
cartridge carbine rifle, while "assault weapon" has no fixed
definition and is used to provoke a negative emotional response.

So, you're just dead wrong. What you call a firearm may be
merely descriptive or may provoke an emotional response. It
can make a big difference in discussions about what if anything
should be done.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 21:43:45 UTC
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:03:23 -0700, in talk.politics.guns Just
Post by Just Wondering
A small business had an economic reversal and was forced to
downsize. The manager called told his supervisor, "It looks
like I'm going to have to either lay Jill or Jack off."
He might have said something like "I need to fire either Jack
or Jill" which has the same meaning. The supervisor misunderstood
and replied, "Then you'd better jack off because there's no way
you're going to lay Jill."
Yes, the correct choice of words does mean something.
Cute story! I'll steal it for later.

OTOH, my anecdote is "bang on" target... as my RedLeg friends in
Vietnam would have said. In that case, whether it was called "cement"
or "concrete" meant nothing to the man who was in pain and had nothing
to do with his injury.

Whether "AR" means "assault rifle" or "ArmaRight" is meaningless to
anyone but you (and certainly not to me). It's a classic "red
herring". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_herring

Now, we observe that some societies have high levels of gun ownership
(although, not nearly as high as the US) *and* low violent crime
rates. All of these societies have laws effecting gun
*responsibility*... in the US, that 'R'-word only means *RIGHTS!* All
of these societies have strict registration laws. In the US, we can
follow suit and still meet constitutional muster. We should do so.
Klaus Schadenfreude
2022-11-25 22:28:17 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
A small business had an economic reversal and was forced to
downsize. The manager called told his supervisor, "It looks
like I'm going to have to either lay Jill or Jack off."
He might have said something like "I need to fire either Jack
or Jill" which has the same meaning. The supervisor misunderstood
and replied, "Then you'd better jack off because there's no way
you're going to lay Jill."
Yes, the correct choice of words does mean something.
Cute story! I'll steal it for later.
You can tell us you heard it while you were in Quang Tín Province in
August of '70, and how it boosted everyone's morale.
Scout
2022-11-29 12:37:17 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Just Wondering
[...]
BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Wondering boots it out of the park.

Well done.
Scout
2022-11-29 12:34:35 UTC
Post by Just Wondering
Should we tell Ono that a mass shooter isn't likely to purchase an
assault rifle, because
(a) the weapon a mass shooter is likely to purchase is a handgun,
not a long gun of any sort, and
(b) by definition an assault rifle is select fire (i.e. capable of
full auto fire) and cannot be bought "on a credit card a few days
or hours prior to the event"?
Or should we let him/her/it remain in blissful ignorance?
We have already established that your "by definition" is different
from my "by definition". I am aware that the gun lobby uses the
presence of a selector switch as the criterion because they do not
like the term "assault rifle". Spanning all networks, the six o'clock
news, however, will almost always say: "assault rifle", even if it was
known to be a semi automatic version.
So, to be clear, your ignorance is acceptable because your sources share
your ignorance, and yet you feel in your ignorance that you should be
allowed to set gun policy and law based on your ignorance?

ROTFLMAO..
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-24 22:58:45 UTC
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
[...]
BTW, CBS is reporting that Aldrich "purchased his gun" using a credit
card. It didn't say which one, though... he had more than one gun on
his body when he opened fire.

I bet *I* could get more than six, though. I'd use G22 Combat
Tupperware with extended capacity mags... one for each hand (that's
what? 28 rounds?) I'd also wear an explosive vest with a hydrostatic
shock-sensing detonator, this just in case there were any good guys
with guns around that I didn't get first... I'd get 'em last! You
guys are wimps; in a target rich environment like that, you should
take out at least 20 *before* you blow the vest.

Light weights!!!
Just Wondering
Not an assault rifle.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 03:28:24 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:48:56 -0700, in talk.politics.guns Just
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
BTW, CBS is reporting that Aldrich "purchased his gun" using a credit
card. It didn't say which one, though... he had more than one gun on
his body when he opened fire.
Not an assault rifle.
I haven't seen them put that out yet. If it's so, I'm sure they'll
say. Not that it matters, though. Maybe the reason he only killed
five people was that, deep in his heart, he was really a law abiding
gun owner who was seduced by the Dark Side? Another theory is that
they were simply accident prone.

That's gotta be it! He went in to have a quiet beer and had an
accidental discharge... and the trigger stuck. (I saw that happen
once on a range at Ft. Dix, NJ in 1966. The M-16 A model was on semi
and emptied the clip downrange. It wasn't my gun, but I could see
it.)
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-25 23:39:50 UTC
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 10:19:14 -0600, in talk.politics.guns Onomatopoeia
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:26:38 +0100 (CET), in talk.politics.guns Biden
Post by Biden Lost In His Own Mind
Criminals don't use credit cards to purchase firearms and
ammunition. It's cash and carry - unless they are Democrat
stupid.
Nonsense! Career criminals might not have credit cards; however, a
mass shooter is *very* likely to purchase his assault rifle and
ammunition on a credit card a few days or hours prior to the event.
Yep... confirmed. He bought the gun (and ammunition) on his credit
card right at four hours before he began shooting.

If there are any other questions, we'll take them off-line.
Oliver Woolcott (
2022-11-25 23:48:19 UTC
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
On Thu, 24 Nov 2022 16:26:38 +0100 (CET), in talk.politics.guns Biden
Post by Biden Lost In His Own Mind
Criminals don't use credit cards to purchase firearms and
ammunition. It's cash and carry - unless they are Democrat
stupid.
Nonsense! Career criminals might not have credit cards; however, a
mass shooter is *very* likely to purchase his assault rifle and
ammunition on a credit card a few days or hours prior to the event.
Yep... confirmed. He bought the gun (and ammunition) on his credit
card right at four hours before he began shooting.
If there are any other questions, we'll take them off-line.
OMG!

OMG!

LOL

What difference would it make?

What is VISA going to do with that information?

::> With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing
::> patterns could be flagged to law enforcement - much the same way banks and
::> credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for
::> other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to
::> terrorist financing.

What does the purchase "suggest?"

That it was one of the hundreds of thousands of legal firearms
purchases made every year?

OMG!

OMG!

::> "The creation of a new [merchant category code] for gun and ammunition retail
::> stores would be the first step towards facilitating the collection of valuable
::> financial data that could help law enforcement in countering the financing of
::> terrorism efforts," the letter says.

Are all firearms-related purchased going to trigger a terrorist alert?

LOL

More leftist bullshit do-nothing feel-good legislation.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-26 02:01:57 UTC
On Fri, 25 Nov 2022 15:48:19 -0800, in talk.politics.guns Oliver
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
More leftist bullshit do-nothing feel-good legislation.
No sir, no sir! It's entirely a private proposal by the CC companies.
There is no pending "legislation"... none proposed. You're free not
to use your credir card if you don't like it.
Oliver Woolcott (
2022-11-26 13:12:32 UTC
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
More leftist bullshit do-nothing feel-good legislation.
No sir, no sir! It's entirely a private proposal by the CC companies.
There is no pending "legislation"... none proposed. You're free not
to use your credir card if you don't like it.
Read the fucking post, you stupid git.

Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
What difference would it make?
<CRICKETS>
<CRICKETS>
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-26 20:20:59 UTC
On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 05:12:32 -0800, in talk.politics.guns Oliver
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
::> The letter, drafted by Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Rep.
::> Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania and signed by over a dozen of their colleagues,
::> urges the CEOs of Mastercard, American Express and Visa to back the creation of
::> a merchant category code for gun and ammunition retailers - a measure the
::> industry had initially resisted, according to an investigation by CBS News in
::> June.
In the first place, you did not previously post that. Further, please
read your own post, sir, and do not speak in such a hostile tone of
voice!

A bunch of liberal legislators sent a letter urging somebody to do
something. Sonny, that is *not* the same thing as legislation. I
said that there is neither legislation pending nor proposed and I
stand by what I wrote. Moreover, the CC companies have not (as of
now) enacted any new merchandise categories. It is mearly a matter up
for corporate discussion. The CC companies are in business to make
money and will do what best effects that end. If their final decision
does not please you, then you're free to change companies or to use
cash.

Now, you are a newby here, so I'll cut you some slack. You do not
speak to me in that kind of language; I hope we're clear on that.

My motto is: "When ignorance shrieks, intelligence chooses silence."

Happy holidays.
Oliver Woolcott (
2022-11-26 21:27:54 UTC
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
::> The letter, drafted by Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Rep.
::> Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania and signed by over a dozen of their colleagues,
::> urges the CEOs of Mastercard, American Express and Visa to back the creation of
::> a merchant category code for gun and ammunition retailers - a measure the
::> industry had initially resisted, according to an investigation by CBS News in
::> June.
In the first place, you did not previously post that.
If you were smart enough to read the original posted article, you
would see it there plain as day. For a guy that claims he loves to
read so much, it's surprising that you jumped in without doing that.
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
Further, please
read your own post, sir, and do not speak in such a hostile tone of
voice!
Eat shit, Constitution-hater.
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
A bunch of liberal legislators sent a letter urging somebody to do
something. Sonny, that is *not* the same thing as legislation. I
said that there is neither legislation pending nor proposed and I
stand by what I wrote. Moreover, the CC companies have not (as of
now) enacted any new merchandise categories. It is mearly a matter up
for corporate discussion. The CC companies are in business to make
money and will do what best effects that end. If their final decision
does not please you, then you're free to change companies or to use
cash.
Now, you are a newby here, so I'll cut you some slack.
Thank goodness, I'll be able to sleep tonight knowing that.
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
You do not speak to me in that kind of language; I hope we're clear on that.
Apparently I do,
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
My motto is: "When ignorance shrieks, intelligence chooses silence."
Then why do we continue to see your posts?

Also noted for the record:

::What difference would it make?

<Jones_crickets>

::What is VISA going to do with that information?

<Jones_crickets>

::::> With a new code for firearms merchants, potentially suspicious purchasing
::::> patterns could be flagged to law enforcement - much the same way banks and
::::> credit unions made more than 1.4 million suspicious activity reports in 2021 for
::::> other types of transactions that might suggest anything from identity theft to
::::> terrorist financing.
::
::What does the purchase "suggest?"

<Jones_crickets>

::That it was one of the hundreds of thousands of legal firearms
::purchases made every year?

<Jones_crickets>

::OMG!
::
::OMG!
::
::::> "The creation of a new [merchant category code] for gun and ammunition retail
::::> stores would be the first step towards facilitating the collection of valuable
::::> financial data that could help law enforcement in countering the financing of
::::> terrorism efforts," the letter says.
::
::Are all firearms-related purchased going to trigger a terrorist alert?

<Jones_crickets>

::
::LOL
::
::More leftist bullshit do-nothing feel-good legislation.

As usual, you run away from what's being discussed, throwing your
feigned butt-hurt over your shoulder as you do so.
Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
2022-11-26 22:06:15 UTC
On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 14:20:59 -0600, in talk.politics.guns Onomatopoeia
Post by Onomatopoeia *BOOM*!
Happy holidays.
I think we'll just end it on that.
Oliver Woolcott (
2022-11-27 00:22:15 UTC
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
[...]
Show of hands-- who is surprised?

LOL

You really need to make it more difficult to call you on your pompous
bullshit.
Scout
2022-11-29 12:40:28 UTC
Post by Oliver Woolcott (
[...]
That it's a waste of time to discuss gun policy with someone as ignorant of
guns and the facts as you have shown yourself to be?