Is The Honeymoon Over Already? CNN Fact-Checks Tim Walz Over Stolen Valor Claims
Ubiquitous
2024-08-13 02:05:01 UTC
Just over two weeks after Vice President Kamala Harris took over the
top of the Democratic Party’s 2024 ticket, media has finally shown some
mild interest in tackling the difficult questions — about her newly-
selected running mate, Governor Tim Walz (D-MN).

During a segment that ran on Wednesday, CNN addressed claims that over
the years, Walz had embellished his 24-year military career in the
Minnesota National Guard — or even that he was guilty of stolen valor.

WATCH:

CNN on Governor Tim Walz:

“Walz did make a comment, he’s done it a couple times, where
he has used language that suggested that he carried weapons
in a fighting situation. There is no evidence that any time
that he was in the position of being shot at and some of his
language… pic.twitter.com/o7gEPW5Xj3

— Yashar Ali ?? (@yashar) August 7, 2024

“Walz did make a comment, speaking to a group — he’s done it a couple
times, where he has used language that suggested that he carried
weapons in a fighting situation. As you know, with your contact with
the military, I know from coming from a military family, there is a
difference between being in a combat area, being involved in a time of
war, and actually being in a position where people are shooting at you.
There is no evidence that any time that Governor Walz was in the
position of being shot at and some of his language could easily be seen
to suggest that he was.”

One video clip that raised the question was actually posted to X by
Kamala Harris’ campaign — largely because it showcased Walz attempting
to parlay his military service into a call for an assault weapons ban
and increased gun control measures. But the way he did so raised
eyebrows, because he appeared to claim he had actually carried such a
weapon into an active war zone.

WATCH:

Gov. @Tim_Walz: I spent 25 years in the Army and I hunt. I’ve
been voting for common sense legislation that protects the
Second Amendment, but we can do background checks. We can
research the impacts of gun violence. We can make sure those
weapons of war, that I carried in war,…
pic.twitter.com/3IVaXi2RP2

— Kamala HQ (@KamalaHQ) August 6, 2024

“I spent 25 years in the Army and I hunt,” Walz said at a campaign
event. “I’ve been voting for common sense legislation that protects the
Second Amendment, but we can do background checks. We can do CDC … We
can make sure those weapons of war, that I carried in war, is the only
place where those weapons are carried.”

Jim LaPorta offered a quick fact check on Walz’s claims in just that
brief clip, saying, “Quick fact check: No, Gov. Walz did not spend 25
years in the Army, it’s 24 years, 1 month and 9 days. No, he did not
carry a weapon of war in war. In 2003, he deployed to Italy in support
of Operation Enduring Freedom.”

Quick fact check: No, Gov. Walz did not spend 25 years in the
Army, it’s 24 years, 1 month and 9 days. No, he did not carry
a weapon of war in war. In 2003, he deployed to Italy in
support of Operation Enduring Freedom. https://t.co/0UNlcJMHBV

— Jim LaPorta (@JimLaPorta) August 7, 2024

Despite the apparent willingness to ask a few questions of Walz, legacy
media writ large does not appear concerned that Harris — the
presidential candidate herself — rose to the top of the Democratic
ticket without earning a single primary vote on her own and has gone
over two weeks without taking an interview or even a single hard
question.

It’s been 17 days since Kamala Harris became the presumptive
Democrat nominee, and she still hasn’t sat for a single media
interview. #WheresKamala https://t.co/xy1otFvvGV

— JD Vance (@JDVance) August 7, 2024

Let's go Brandon!
Governor Swill
2024-08-14 04:42:30 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Interestingly, he said, "gun carried in war." It was wartime and he was posted overseas
in support of Enduring Freedom. So, while his comment was accurate, I can see how some
folks not paying attention might think he meant that he fought in comment. Other than
that though, the comment is quite accurate. He was a sharpshooter and taught artillery.

So, how does Walz' military record compare to Captain Bone Spurs'?

Swill