Desalinization vs. Reservoirs
Add Reply
Intelligent Party
2024-08-30 10:02:05 UTC
Raise Lake Shasta 200 Feet and thereby add 10 million acre feet of water.
Put in the Ah Pah Dam and thereby add 15 million acre feet of water. On
the Klamath River and form a scenic lake.
Put in the Dos Rios Reservoir and thereby add 7 million acre feet of
water. On the Eel River
Do these projects and then there will be enough water for the Peripheral
Canal, and a fledgling UC Fresno.
These would be Federal Water Programs, and there is runoff for the
State. These are huge projects like the Hoover Dam, yet desperately
needed if we are to have an Empire of 40 million people in California as
we have.
The farmers are 80% of the water, and are Federal water.
The homes are 20% of the water, and are State water.
There is runoff from Federal to State.
For comparison purposes, Lake Mead and Lake Powell, the nation's two
largest reservoirs are 25 million Acre Feet of water each.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/ca.water/y5tkrEW4Gkk
The Hoover Dam cost $49 million to build in 1930, equal to $860 million
today. Per Quora, we think it would cost much more today, closer to $10
billion.
https://www.quora.com/How-much-would-it-cost-to-build-the-Hoover-Dam-from-scratch-in-todays-dollars-and-under-todays-construction-rules

If it cost $10 Billion

The San Diego County Carlsbad Desalinization plant cost about $1 billion
to build
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_%22Bud%22_Lewis_Carlsbad_Desalination_Plant

It produces 50 million gallons of fresh water per day or 18.25 billion
per year.

If a dam allowing storage of 10 million acre feet, such as the Hoover
Dam cost $10 billion to build, we calculate that 1 acre foot of water is
325,851 gallons, and 10 million acre feet of water 3,258,509,400,000,
3.2 Trillion gallons of stored water.

We also calculate that 10 such desalinization plants as the one in San
Diego County, costing $10 billion total, would produce 18.25 billion x
10, 182.5 billion gallons of fresh water per year. Or 500,000,000
gallons x 365 days, also 182,500,000,000 gallons yearly.

We thus conclude, that because 3.2 trillion gallons is 17.85 times 182.5
billion gallons, dams still make more sense that desalinization plants.

If you were storing only 1 million acre feet, it would still be 1.785
time more water to have damns.

Maybe we can build desalinization plants more efficiently in the future?
Maybe there are economies of scale?

If you stored 10 million acre feet, and the dam only cost $1 billion it
would be 178.5 times more water. However, we should not build damns
that fail, and it should be a Federal project.

If there is anything wrong with this analysis, please correct it.
Intelligent Party
2024-08-30 18:44:12 UTC
Post by Intelligent Party
[...]
We have to consider capacity vs. yield.

This 1979 New York Times article states:
https://www.nytimes.com/1979/01/18/archives/us-may-add-200-feet-to-a-coast-dam-cheaper-alternative.html

"Many possibilities for tapping more water from the rushing northern
rivers are under consideration. An increasingly plausible one, engineers
say, would be to add about 200 feet to the height of Shasta Dam. That
would triple its storage capacity to 14 million acre‐feet, more than
one‐third of the state's annual consumption, and would increase the
reservoir's annual yield of four million acre‐feet some 25 percent."
January 18, 1979

This states a 300% increase in capacity, but only a 25% increase in yield!

This may not be the same for the Klammath River, which is dumping water
into the ocean, but the Desalinization numbers above are all yield!

Dams also give hydroelectric power which desalinization doesn't.

"The study even advances the possibility, by adding 300 feet to the
dam's height instead of 200, of increasing the storage capacity more
than sixfold, to 27 million acre‐feet."

"The 200‐foot addition would double the area of Lake Shasta, to 90
square miles."

"The 45-square-mile lake is California's biggest reservoir, storing the
equivalent of more than one‐tenth of the state's annual consumption of
water."

"The study is only a prospectus. If considered promising, it would be
followed by a four‐year feasibility study, two years of public review
and Congressional consideration, four years of design work, six years of
construction time, and four years of filling the reservoir to its
planned operating level. Actual operation, then, would be at least 20
years away." - 1979

33 year old Dam then, is now 78 years old now. Hoover Dam in Nevada is
93 years old.

California uses is 40 million acre feet of water per year, and this has
not increased in 50 years, even as the population has doubled.
See chart on 2nd page:
https://cwc.ca.gov/-/media/CWC-Website/Files/Documents/2019/06_June/June2019_Item_12_Attach_2_PPICFactSheets.pdf

"The dam, 3,400 feet across its rim, impounds in Lake Shasta 4.5 million
acre feet of water, normally releasing it at the staggering rate of
79,000 cubic feet a second. An acre‐foot is some 325,000 gallons, equal
to an acre of water a foot deep."

4.5 million acre feet = 1.46 Trillion gallons.
Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-08-30 19:45:53 UTC
90 square miles
Governor Swill /Rudy Canoza/Lou Bricano/J Carlson/Michael A
Terrell/Chris Ahlstrom and a dozen other socks wrote:

Multiple death threats against Trump:

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Subject: Re: Triumphant Trump Photo After Assassination Attempt
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

Cheer up, maybe someone else will try.

Swill

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups:
alt.politics.immigration,alt.politics.nationalism.white,talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: AP Lies by Ommission About Identity of Invaders Charged with
Rape, Murder of 12-Year-Old
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 12:35:52 -0700
alt.politics.nationalism.white:10913 talk.politics.misc:1295918
alt.fan.rush-limbaugh:3024985
No. I am a patriotic American who wants the country and its people to
thrive. Getting rid of Trump permanently
is an important step to getting there.

That constitutes a DEATH THREAT against a former President, Rudey:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/871
18 U.S. Code § 871 - Threats against President and successors to the
Presidency
U.S. Code
Notes
prev | next
(a)Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits for conveyance in the mail
or for a delivery from any post office or by any letter carrier any
letter, paper, writing, print, missive, or document containing any
threat to take the life of, to kidnap, or to inflict bodily harm upon
the President of the United States, the President-elect, the Vice
President or other officer next in the order of succession to the office
of President of the United States, or the Vice President-elect, or
knowingly and willfully otherwise makes any such threat against the
President, President-elect, Vice President or other officer next in the
order of succession to the office of President, or Vice President-elect,
shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years,
or both.
(b)The terms “President-elect” and “Vice President-elect” as used in
this section shall mean such persons as are the apparent successful
candidates for the offices of President and Vice President,
respectively, as ascertained from the results of the general elections
held to determine the electors of President and Vice President in
accordance with title 3, United States Code, sections 1 and 2. The
phrase “other officer next in the order of succession to the office of
President” as used in this section shall mean the person next in the
order of succession to act as President in accordance with title 3,
United States Code, sections 19 and 20.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 740; June 1, 1955, ch. 115, § 1, 69
Stat. 80; Pub. L. 87–829, § 1, Oct. 15, 1962, 76 Stat. 956; Pub. L.
97–297, § 2, Oct. 12, 1982, 96 Stat. 1318; Pub. L. 103–322, title
XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

9-65.200 - Threats Against the President and Successors to the
Presidency; Threats Against Former Presidents; and Certain Other Secret
Service Protectees
The Counterterrorism Section of the National Security Division has
supervisory authority over 18 U.S.C. §§ 871 and 879 cases. As great
caution must be taken in matters relating to the security of the persons
protected by 18 U.S.C. § 871, United States Attorneys are encouraged to
consult with the Counterterrorism Section (CTS) of the National Security
Division when they have doubts on the prosecutive merit of a case. For
the same reason, dismissal of complaints under 18 U.S.C. § 871, when the
defendant is in custody under the Mental Incompetency Statutes (18
U.S.C. §§ 4244, 4246), requires approval from CTS. In other cases,
United States Attorneys must consult prior to dismissing a count
involving, or entering into any sentence commitment or other case
settlement involving a § 871 charge.

https://www.secretservice.gov/newsroom/releases/2024/01/phoenix-man-arrested-making-online-death-threats-against-president-and

PHOENIX –David Michael Hanson, 41, of Phoenix, was arrested on Wednesday
for making online threats against the President and Vice-President.
Hanson was charged by Federal criminal complaint on Tuesday with five
counts of Threats Against the President and Successors to the Presidency
and five counts of Interstate Communication of Threats.

The complaint alleges that in November and December of 2023, while
living in Arizona, Hanson used a social media platform to post threats
to murder the President and Vice President of the United States. On
November 19, 2023, Hanson posted online a series of threatening
statements including one that stated, “#joeAndKamala I’m asking you to
resign on Monday your alternative is death brutally murdered.” After the
U.S. Secret Service spoke to Hanson and warned him that it was a Federal
crime to post such threats, on December 23, 2023, Hanson posted another
series of similar threats aimed at the President and Vice-President.

Each count of Threats Against the President and Successors to the
Presidency carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison, a fine of
up to $250,000, and up to three years of supervised release. Each count
of Interstate Communication of Threats carries a maximum sentence of
five years in prison, a fine of up to $250,000, and up to three years of
supervised release.

A complaint is simply a method by which a person is charged with
criminal activity and raises no inference of guilt. An individual is
presumed innocent until evidence is presented to a jury that establishes
guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The United States Secret Service is conducting the investigation in this
case. The United States Attorney’s Office, District of Arizona, is
handling the prosecution.

Those can be reported here:

https://tips.fbi.gov/home

https://www.justice.gov/action-center/report-crime-or-submit-complaint

https://www.secretservice.gov/contact

https://www.dhs.gov/see-something-say-something/reporting/california

Fellow citizens, won't you join in ending Rudey's terrorism here?

Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-08-30 20:33:28 UTC
78 years old now

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups:

Governor Swill
2024-08-30 20:22:58 UTC
On Fri, 30 Aug 2024 03:02:05 -0700, Intelligent Party
Post by Intelligent Party
We thus conclude, that because 3.2 trillion gallons is 17.85 times 182.5
billion gallons, dams still make more sense that desalinization plants.
IF you have the water to fill them with.

Finder's keepers
<https://www.gocomics.com/nickanderson/2024/08/23>

#NEVERtrump
Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-08-30 20:33:15 UTC
Finder's keepers

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups:

Chris Ahlstrom
2024-08-30 22:15:08 UTC
Post by Intelligent Party
We thus conclude, that because 3.2 trillion gallons is 17.85 times 182.5
billion gallons, dams still make more sense that desalinization plants.
IF you have the water to fill them with.
Ask the people looking after the Klamath and Colorado Rivers.

P.S. The book "Cadillac Desert" is an interesting read.
--
Q: What is the sound of one cat napping?
A: Mu.
Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-08-30 22:18:15 UTC
interesting read

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups:

Chris Ahlstrom
2024-08-30 22:18:58 UTC
Post by Intelligent Party
We thus conclude, that because 3.2 trillion gallons is 17.85 times 182.5
billion gallons, dams still make more sense that desalinization plants.
IF you have the water to fill them with.
Finder's keepers
<https://www.gocomics.com/nickanderson/2024/08/23>
It makes me think of Theodore Sturgeon's story (a movie as well) "Killdozer!".
--
Gratitude and treachery are merely the two extremities of the same procession.
You have seen all of it that is worth staying for when the band and the gaudy
Lil dwarf Rudey
2024-08-30 22:20:17 UTC
It makes me think

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:38:43 -0400

Oh poor me I got shot at ...

Swill

From: Governor Swill <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups:
talk.politics.misc,alt.politics,alt.politics.usa,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.elections
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2024 10:37:51 -0400

From: J Carlson <***@gmx.com>
Newsgroups: